+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise on a site

Dormant Account
    Thanks

Advise on a site

Ok after much reading and link clicking i discovered this site.http://www.websitebroker.com/site-de...999988124.html
    Can i ask if anyone has any advise or knowledge of it,does it seem ok,or is it something to steer clear of.As of yet i havnt purchased a website so if anyone has any piece of advise however small it would be much appreciated.Many thanks.

Top Contributor Chabrenas is a Premium Member
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm not in a position to advise, but I'd like to ride on this thread to get comments on how I'd tackle your problem, to see how much I am or am not learning.

1. http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...t-CA-100048238 tells me that the company that lists the business for sale is long-established and reliable, which seems a good start.
    2. Have you registered at the site you're thinking of buying, to find what it's like to use? Certainly the site design looks lively and likely to attract customers.

Experts here can tell you what the niche is like - competition, likely revenue and how hard you have to work to keep it coming in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chabrenas For This Useful Post:

rogsmith (15 January 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hey Rog, my advice run a mile...
    That is not a business its a distorted form of pyramid marketing, you age the domains he buys them from you and resells them? Well two questions here why does he need you to age them? Also why if they are so popular and in demand can you not sell them yourself.

The system allows, only the owner (aka YOU) to 'park' domains on the network and have those domains act as article bank websites. (from the sales pitch)

I may be wrong but to my knowledge a recent google update basically made this kind of site redundant. More over you buy into this Scheme and I buy into this Scheme...I park a domain Cyclingisfun and you park a domain Iwannaridebicycle.....we both end up with same articles and as such duplicate content?

I could go on but this is a online marketing scheme and not a business or website you will own. It is reliant on the participation of your benefactors to be a profitable. I would take my $500 and buy some auction domains on Godaddy age them myself add content and smack on add sense. Even that simple act will bring you something more viable and more akin to a web based business than this offering.
    All in my humble opinion mind.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slowdive For This Useful Post:

Clinton (15 January 2012), Kay (15 January 2012), KenW3 (15 January 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hello Slowdive,
    Many thanks for the reply its just what i wanted.I think what slightly appealed to me was the fact i could have learned how to go about all this a bit more with that site.I really want to get stuck in i think i will work this out a bit better and have more incentive if i actually buy something now.The only problem being finding the correct website to purchase.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogsmith View Post
    The only problem being finding the correct website to purchase.
    If you're looking to buy rather than build that is, indeed, the biggest problem because the large majority of low end sites in the biggest marketplaces aren't really micro-businesses at all. These non-businesses exist - were created - because the marketplaces (and some internet marketers) talked up that end of the market for self-serving reasons.
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,658 Posts
    I've got some more time so am returning to this thread and checking out the link in the OP.

Chabrenas, that's a good start. Acting like a customer for the business is one good way to examine how they operate.

There is tons you can find out about a business using nothing but advanced Google searches. Combine that with a few others - like this DD example thread I started here - and you'll see how much more you can find out. Perhaps readers would care to add to TrustButVerify's thread here if any ideas occur to them.

But, here's one trick you all missed :
    A Google search for site:http://experienced-people.net/ +"launch press release"
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,277 Times in 2,097 Posts
    Rog, if you're sure you want to buy rather than build from scratch, have a look in the BSTE to see if there's anything there that takes your fancy.

http://experienced-people.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/11-Buy-Sell-Trade-Employ-(BSTE)

Alternatively, wait till you have enough post count to start a thread in the BSTE and post to say you want to buy a site. You will need to specify what exactly it is you want to buy. Before you can do that, you'll need to think about what type of monetising methods might suit you. AdSense, affiliate programmes, selling an e-book, etc, etc. You'll also need to specify your budget and what niche you're wanting to get into. (Read the BSTE rules before trying to post in there, and remember that it's a pre-modded forum.)

When you're buying at the lower end of the market, such as you're suggesting, you'll need to do a lot of work to make the site really start to make money. You'll need to add content, promote it, get traffic, etc, etc. Pretty much the same as if you were building from scratch.

With a budget of $500 you could do a lot better than this. I'm not sure if we've had such a thread before (need to check) but, if not, you could start one about how people would go about spending their 500 bucks on getting into making money online.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

My Blog - online business, book reviews and stuff. Comments are welcome.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks again Kay,
    I think because i have no experiance i came to the conclusion that buying an established site rather than trying to build one from scratch right now would be the best way to go (i could well be wrong).I could have a bit more funds than you suggest above to use on this and i dont mind loosing some,i think i really want to get into this and i feel the best way to learn for me would be to get a site and go from there.I could obviously be very wrong in that way of thinking.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hey Rog I saw the last site you were looking at was valued at around $1000 so I assuming your budget is that...you have a few options.

You could post on the BSTE forum asking for some one to help you find a viable site in the $800 region with a $200 commission for them or something similar. You never know your luck.

You could take $600 and sign up for SEO BOOK leaving you with enough money to buy a domain and use some change.

You could buy multiple domains and embrace the learning process, this will ultimately better equip you to make recurring income in various ways of the internet. All just thoughts but I look at my small portfolio and I realize I would not let a good site go for $1k, if its a good site it will make me $1k in a few months or even six months, so why would I want to off load it unless it was flawed at some level. That is just me mind and there are bargains out there, just very hard for newcomer to safely locate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowdive For This Useful Post:

rogsmith (16 January 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Many thanks Slowdive,thats exactly the kind of answer im after.That all makes sense about sites at the cheaper end of the market which is where i would be startying from.I suppose my budget for now would be around $2000 so using your advise i may be better looking at buying a few domains.I have been thinking the purchase of a cheap website the way to go but your post makes sense on reasons not to do that.I will have a look more into that now and see where i go,i really want to get stuck in i think for me actually owning something will help me more with the learning.Once again many thanks for the reply.

+ Reply to Thread