+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latonas Dropping There Valuations on Some sites

Thanks
    Grynge,

Grynge,

Currently the core functionality on Latona's requires the use of Javascript. The reason for this was to build a feature rich application, usable by the majority. As we continue through our development roadmap we will be addressing the needs of a low feature version and will implement accordingly. However, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

One recommendation is to have another browser with Javascrip enabled that you use only for trusted sites. For example, you could use Chrome, or whatever throughout the day and when you want to go to a JS site just launch Firefox or whatever your alternate is. It's a quick easy solution to not need to change your actual settings.

Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    Rick I went to your site and instantly remembered why I don't visit any more you don't allow anyone to view the pages if they have js turned off.

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Yeah I can understand that some of your functions maybe js related, but to not show a listing and have instead
    Oh no! You have javascript disabled.
    You will need to enable it to use Latona's.
    being redirected is detrimental to your sales in my estimation. You show the listing for a couple of seconds before being redirected? So obviously it isn't at the core of displaying a list just the functionality (which if your guys are good should be migrated to html5 but thats a totally different story)

I can not estimate what your percentage of js non users is but on my techincal sites it is as high as 35%, would it not be worth your while to check and see what you percentage is? If it's only 1% then yeah I suppose you could live with that. Anyway I'm not trying to change your mind, just letting you know why I haven't returned to your site.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Clinton (10 August 2012)

Thanks
    Grynge,

I assume you referring to "Java Support" which is displayed in Google Analytics. This is for the Java plugin and doesn't have any reflections of javascript itself. If it did, I would agree that it would be a real problem. In the past month, we have bounced 8 visits to /no_script. That's out of roughly 145,000 visits. So the true percentage of visits that didn't accept Java "Script" is very small fraction.

I do have one last suggestion. If you sign up for our newsletter, you'll at least be able to stay informed on our new listings. If you see something on it that interests you, you can email me and I'll have a PDF of the listing sent to you. If you'd like to sign up for the newsletter, but don't want to enable JavaScript to sign up on our site, just PM me your email address and I'll add you myself.

Rick

Yeah I can understand that some of your functions maybe js related, but to not show a listing and have instead being redirected is detrimental to your sales in my estimation. You show the listing for a couple of seconds before being redirected? So obviously it isn't at the core of displaying a list just the functionality (which if your guys are good should be migrated to html5 but thats a totally different story)

I can not estimate what your percentage of js non users is but on my techincal sites it is as high as 35%, would it not be worth your while to check and see what you percentage is? If it's only 1% then yeah I suppose you could live with that. Anyway I'm not trying to change your mind, just letting you know why I haven't returned to your site.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Latona View Post
    Grynge,

I assume you referring to "Java Support" which is displayed in Google Analytics. This is for the Java plugin and doesn't have any reflections of javascript itself. If it did, I would agree that it would be a real problem. In the past month, we have bounced 8 visits to /no_script. That's out of roughly 145,000 visits. So the true percentage of visits that didn't accept Java "Script" is very small fraction.

I do have one last suggestion. If you sign up for our newsletter, you'll at least be able to stay informed on our new listings. If you see something on it that interests you, you can email me and I'll have a PDF of the listing sent to you. If you'd like to sign up for the newsletter, but don't want to enable JavaScript to sign up on our site, just PM me your email address and I'll add you myself.

Rick
    Sorry Rick, no I wasn't talking about GA, GA is a JS script so it won't be able to tell you anything about the people logging onto your site not using JS as the script isn't loaded there can be no data collection involved. You would need to go through your server logs or add a server based analytics script that doesn't rely on JS to see a percentage. Unless of course GA has changed or added some server based way of collecting data? I haven't personally used it for quite some time.

I will PM you my email shortly, and look forward to seeing the new sites come through.

Actually Rick if you think about it, because you redirect people to your /noscript page, you shouldn't see any of those people in GA, unless the person turns GA on and refreshes the page. If you checked your server log to see how much traffic that page got I think you would be surprised the difference GA shows and your stats on the server show.
    Last edited by grynge; 10 August 2012 at 9:42 am.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Thanks
    Grynge,

Those are really good points you are bringing up. I can't argue with the logic. I'll have my guys look at the server logs directly and I'll circle back with you next week.

Rick

Sorry Rick, no I wasn't talking about GA, GA is a JS script so it won't be able to tell you anything about the people logging onto your site not using JS as the script isn't loaded there can be no data collection involved. You would need to go through your server logs or add a server based analytics script that doesn't rely on JS to see a percentage. Unless of course GA has changed or added some server based way of collecting data? I haven't personally used it for quite some time.

I will PM you my email shortly, and look forward to seeing the new sites come through.

Actually Rick if you think about it, because you redirect people to your /noscript page, you shouldn't see any of those people in GA, unless the person turns GA on and refreshes the page. If you checked your server log to see how much traffic that page got I think you would be surprised the difference GA shows and your stats on the server show.

Thanks
    Grynge,

Here's what my techs had to say:

We sampled the period of 8/7 - 8/13

Raw hits to the /no_script page came in at 56. If you count unique only this number drops around 50% to 29.

Analytics is reporting 7,126 raw pageviews, 1,616 unique.

Either way you slice this, it is a pretty low number. Basically, it's less than 2%.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Another way to look at it is, depending on your conversion/sales rate say you have a 1% sales rate (I am only guessing what your conversion rate is)

21visits x 52 weeks = 1092 (21 because your other stat tells you 8 turn js on)

So over a year you could be missing 10 sales/conversions

I am not trying to convince you of anything, as you would know sometimes numbers can be used in many varied ways.

When I had a B&M I changed my contact page from js to php and my enquiries increased by 12% which meant my overall sales went up.
    Non ducor, duco

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Rick I went to your site and instantly remembered why I don't visit any more you don't allow anyone to view the pages if they have js turned off.
    Grynge -

I realize this is a little late. I just joined this forum, so I figured better late than never. My name is Jeff Salter, and I am the Marketing Manager at Latona's. I totally understand your position here. 'No-Script' is a part of any browser I use for everyday surfing.

When building the site, this is certainly something we discussed in detail. On our listings pages, such as http://latonas.com/websites-for-sale, all the sorting and filtering is done client-side using JS. We found this method to be fast and efficient. Some day we might move away from this method. But for the time being its here to stay. We require visitors to have JS enabled, simply because its required for the site to operate correctly.

Cheers,

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread