+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any volunteers to build me a Facebook page for this forum?

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    You've got to be joking, after those poor people got turned around at US Customs and sent back to UK for tweeting terrorist-like remarks! Surely some other social networks would be more appropriate for E-P, rather than farcebook or twitshop.

Y'know, I watched an interview with Joan Collins a day back, she's looking towards a new series this year and she said she's going to shoot a pilot in March.
    My thought as she said it - "good job you're already in California, or they wouldn't let you into the US, either".

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

grynge (11 February 2012), Kay (11 February 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    crabfoot, I share your personal dislike for FB, but if the majority of our members are in FB and if having an FB page would assist them in their participation here, I owe it to them to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    Surely some other social networks would be more appropriate for E-P, rather than farcebook or twitshop.
    Suggestions?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

tke71709 (12 February 2012)

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I've been thinking about this and I am concerned that maintaining a FB page might require ridiculous amounts of work from the mods in order to keep it spam-free and fluff-free, unless the page is somehow restricted to members only.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    my personal (probably skewed view ) on facebook et al is that some stuff out there is passive (you push out information), some interactive though of course all site owners like to claim they are interactive:

Facebook - interactive
    Forums - interactive
    YouTube - passive
    Twitter - either, but can be used passively
    email newsletters - passive
    etc.

so I think that you have to decide where you are going to put your efforts in being interactive - facebook could easily end up a duplication of the forums...

Alasdair

7. The Following User Says Thank You to akirk For This Useful Post:

Clinton (12 February 2012)

Thanks
    I don't think you need a facebook page for a forum. Facebook is usually good to create more interaction between customers, which defeats the purpose of a forum. But a twitter account could be useful, so we can quickly get the latest updates.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DomainMagnate For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (13 February 2012)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I'm a member of a forum which automatically tweets any new postings (except for those in private areas). I don't like the idea for several reasons (and don't visit that forum very often now). It's just more talking AT people, and self-promotion. Maybe I'm weird but I don't like the idea of everything I say being tweeted in that way. Yeah, I know that anything said on a public forum is in the public domain anyway, but what if I made a mistake or regretted what I'd said? The admins/mods can always remove things from a forum but if it's been tweeted around the globe then you've completely lost control of your forum content.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (13 February 2012), KenW3 (12 February 2012), TheodoreK (13 February 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    You could be selective about what is tweeted, ie use it to drive people to the forum, rather than tweet the same info - that avoids Kay's concerns and is very effective...
    Alasdair

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I know you can populate an FB Wall with an RSS feed - e.g. Ken's list as suggested earlier - but I don't know if you can do that and not allow input from viewers of the page. A feed to Twitter may be easier to set up, and responses spread usefully into tweetspace rather than cluttering up your property. I think DomainMagnate is on the right track.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheodoreK View Post
    I've been thinking about this and I am concerned that maintaining a FB page might require ridiculous amounts of work from the mods in order to keep it spam-free and fluff-free
    Hmm, I hadn't considered this. Is it really so bad? Could I not put some fiverr type person on the job to control spam?

I like this Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ViperChill (whoever is volunteering can check it out)

Alasdair says that the FB page could end up becoming a duplicate of the forums. How can I avoid that and add more value to that FB page both for members and for the attracting of new members?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Could I not put some fiverr type person on the job to control spam?
    If the EP FB page has the same no-fluff rules as the forums I seriously doubt it but maybe I am biased due to my dislike towards FB.
    Regardless, I'm afraid that without proper modding an EP FB page will turn to a honeypot for elaborate link-droppers who think they "earned" the right to spam since they "liked" the EP page and you can't ban IPs over there

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheodoreK For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (23 February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread