+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any volunteers to build me a Facebook page for this forum?

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    From what I've seen, this is going to be hard to replicate without FBML. It can be done using the API but it isn't easy and is meant more for applications. It's beyond my knowledge, I'm afraid.
    I suspected as much. I don't want to do real programming and get into Facebook API.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I spent sometime playing with FB and Iframes today.
    What exactly would the facebook page need to achieve...
    News letter sign up link?
    Like us button?
    Feed of recent blog posts?

I really resent the recent changes by FB as they are quickly making the fan page creation so complicated that it will soon required professionals to do anything half way decent. It is creating a market that need not exist and one that further rewards cash over content, sure that is life and all but it still erks me. The long term implications of facebooks iframes are interesting though, one day it will replace the traditional webpage, in a sense.

Anyway using iframes, I now have a functional and tabbed landing page....so in answer to the question, once we decide what functions the page needs I may be able to take a swing at it. Any handy graphic designers around?

Edit: had a look at viper chill and see no reason we cannot do something slicker even....

what I would like is something that offers fans some unique content, even if that is just a blog feed, a 101 list or who knows....I need to think the whole thing through but if some one is up to design an image, I can map it and we can do something nifty
    Last edited by Slowdive; 27 February 2012 at 4:50 pm.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slowdive For This Useful Post:

Clinton (28 February 2012), grynge (27 February 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Thanks, Slowdive

Based on your post I went searching for [facebook iframe guide] and came up with some good results such as this page. So this FBML seems to be history and it's all iframes now.

What exactly would the facebook page need to achieve...
    I'm looking to find ways I can better serve the community here. In an earlier post I mentioned "attracting new members who'll make quality on-topic posts, making it easier for current members to follow what's happening here, getting non-posting visitors who'll read our posts and click on members' signature links out of genuine interest... that sort of thing."

We could do FB updates using ToTW material. I could provide unique content from experienced-people.co.uk or short selections from the newsletter on that site. There are other options on quality and unique content.

The FB page and updates to the page could guide a reader directly to a forum thread or indirectly via an article on the other site which has a link to the relevant forum thread. We could also add some social plugin to the forums to allow members to share posts and threads from here (though, I appreciate we don't the FB page prior to setting this up). The fact that most of our content is public and members' friends can visit and benefit may encourage members to share useful threads they find.

With regard your question on links - we could link to the registration page here and the newsletter signup on the other site. I don't know about the feed of blog posts and whether that will help, given the relative low level of use of the blog here, but I am prepared to be guided on this. Maybe when we promote an article to the frontpage that could be fed/linked?

If you have an iframe you wish me to upload, please email it over.

If anyone wants to volunteer to design an image - I know a fair few of you are quite talented in that direction - please feel free to post or PM.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Slowdive (29 February 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Today's News: Facebook pages getting overhaul to incorporate Timeline. There's a new admin panel too.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    SEWatch has posted an everything you need to know about the new format and how to make best use of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

eddiebooth (22 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    The changes are going to make things interesting, rules like no call to action on the page and limited support for applications and no Iframes. All of this is the reason I have gone a little quiet I am watching what other brands are doing and considering the best way to update my own. Once I have findings I will share them and along with that an idea for the EP Page.

Facebook has certainly decided content is going to be king, interesting....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    slowdive, what do you think of this Wix service to create a Facebook Page for free?

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    It really depends how much you plan to use a facebook page for. I suggest you start off by creating a page that is used to post interesting threads every week or however frequently. As you want people to respond on the forums you could disable other people writing on the wall as this would help minimize spam. Then you only have to deal with comments.

I don't believe spam would be a huge problem unless the page was noticed for some reason. The only pages I really notice suffering from spam are the ones that post random crap that's completely unrelated purely because they have gained a large community and they usually want to achieve something on a personal level. This is done by allowing people to buy posts.

If you avoid putting fluff out their and keep the strict rules you have here I'd be fairly confident you wouldn't need to spend large amounts of time monitoring spam. However I wouldn't forget it - the page will need to be monitored because there is always a chance there will be some spam.

As for other suggestions, what about LinkedIn or Ecademy? I don't use these particularly however the communities there tend to be made up of people who are interested in things on a more professional level whereas on Facebook you come across thousands of teens creating midly racist, offensive and pointless pages and posts just because they can. On LinkedIn or Ecademy you would be less likely to have a problem with fluff like the content I just mentioned. Yet do enough people here use either of these networks? If not then it may not be worthwhile.

Don't forget Google+. Not many kids use Google+ but the network lacks users that are older as well. One of the huge benefits of using Google+ is it's effect on search rankings. Whilst it's hard to find out how effective Google+ is it makes sense that Google would make use of G+ in their search rankings. My Dad went to a talk where somebody demonstrated how useful G+ was. In 24 hours they'd managed to get a page with a video on to rank in the top spot on Google when the website was about something completely different. Whilst it may have had other influences the main aim was to use G+ to promote the video. This at least convinced my Dad G+ is worth using!

You can always do a trial run, if the pages aren't worth using to interact and share you could just disable the walls so they only serve as a splash page linking people to the website and show people that a community exists with the likes etc. One thing I'd like to point out is this is a forum and you don't want people moving to Facebook and only commenting on Facebook. The community still needs to be driven here to post, even if it is done through an iFrame.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    Facebook has certainly decided content is going to be king, interesting....
    It seems the dilema is how much content from the site should be posted to Facebook. You could post discussions to Facebook and allow them to happen there but like I said in this post, you want to drive people to the forums. If everyone is going to the wall, seeing content but having to come to the forums to discuss it then is the content you're putting on facebook going to achieve what you're after?

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    slowdive, what do you think of this Wix service to create a Facebook Page for free?
    Do you really want this to appear (or similar)? 'This Website was created usingwix.com' Personally I think you'd be better off making something yourself. Although to be honest you only really need a banner, logo/profile picture and then you can just use the wall. In which case I'd totally avoid wix.
    Last edited by Clarkie; 22 March 2012 at 7:37 pm.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clarkie For This Useful Post:

Clinton (23 March 2012), Slowdive (23 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    For reference sake, the wix creator seems to be outdated. I personally do not see how its tabbed structure would pass the update and I doubt the code would work, but I stand to be corrected. What I have found is that a certain apps that use Iframes can still be utilized so it is possible to put web-based content onto facebook, in theory. The API to automate that would be a pain in the behind and not worth doing so early after an update as FB changes its code seemingly weekly. What I would do is get a page that is not linked to the site to display in an Iframe, make it spider proof and just tweak it to display what ever was required a few times a week. More extravagant and elegant solutions doubtless exist but I wonder how long they will work for week to week at this stage.

What I actually need is some crafty graphics person to make us a 851 x 315 EP banner, I really do not like my own graphic design and we should look "pretty". I can of course go and have one made but it would be really awesome to see it come out of the community.

For those who wonder what on earth I am talking about above, I have updated the thread in the VIP lounge with an example

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I would be honored to help you guys out. I have some cool Facebook pages if I say so myself and it's fun to be on Facebook with the forum, plus you can news feed awesome stuff from the forum to the page. I dunno how that part works, but it can be pretty swell.

Let me know if I can be of assistance!

+ Reply to Thread