+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any volunteers to build me a Facebook page for this forum?

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    What would the graphic need to look like/include?

ep.jpg

I had very little to do so I whipped up a quick image in Illustrator. Obviously it's not what you're after but what sort of things do you want in the image etc?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clarkie For This Useful Post:

Clinton (25 March 2012), Kay (25 March 2012), Slowdive (24 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hehe Clarkie you are a star mate
    Truth I am a little unsure, perhaps Clinton or any one else could weigh in with what we want our cover image to say about us? What sort of imagery are we planning to employ and what tone do we wish to evoke?

I was thinking something a long the lines of a
    Experienced-people.net (in nice font)
    Is Your Business Buying, Selling Or Creating Online business?
    Join Us And Share The Wealth

With a background of multiple websites sort of speckled about. However that was just my initial thought and please do not make any move to make my vague idea a reality! As I imagine some other mods or members will have some great and better ideas or simply a clearer vision for our FB face. In point of fact your concept may even be closer to what Clinton or others envisage us as
    Thanks again for taking interest, lets see what ideas pop up next.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Well done, Clarkie, and thanks for putting that image together. It pleases me when members invest their time to help improve this site. Not everybody is that generous with their "giving". Much appreciated.

I like the concept of joining the dots, of us helping to join the dots.

However, after some discussions with Ken, I think we are better off not directing our ads/branding/FB page at newbies. We do welcome people of all levels of expertise, but this forum is primarily for serious, professional discussions about online businesses and, more specifically, about the buying and selling of online businesses, websites, blogs, forums etc.

Some background: The reason we have a Website 101 is not to attract newbies so much as to segregate the type of discussions that may not be of interest to most members. If we have the good discussions newbies will join anyway and we don't need to "target" them.

We need to target the kind of people who create the top discussions. We can appeal to them perhaps by conveying that there are others here of their calibre with skills in related areas and that the cross-fertilisation of skills and ideas from the various professionals and business owners here is what makes this place a great venue for them to join up and learn themselves. We need to convey to them how they and their businesses can benefit.

In order of priority, I see our forums wanting:
    Intelligent discussion on the buying/selling of online businesses - everything from equity related discussions to tax mitigation ideas on selling a business to threads about how to choose a business broker, raise capital, structure a buyout etc.
    Talk about monetising and running online businesses.
    Other business related talk applicable to both online and offline businesses - taxes, employees, legal matters...

Does that help both of you and anybody else looking to contribute to this thread?

(I'm not keen on the "Join us and share the wealth". That suggests we're selling a get rick quick scheme. )
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I enjoyed the graphic and thanks for taking the time to make it. Great stuff!

It was kind of you (and very politically correct) to include a figure of a woman in the illustration, reflecting the diverse community here on EP. However, I am very angry that the woman is portrayed as being legless.

Anyway, well done for bringing out more information about the aims and objectives of this forum. It's evolving all the time and sometimes it helps to verbalise where we're heading.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clarkie (25 March 2012)

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here's a concept for you to try to work on:

There are always several skills or valuable pieces of knowledge any business owner lacks. There are two ways to acquire it:

1. On the books. Outsourced to professional consultants, and payment accounted for in the company books.

2. Off the books. Advice and discussion from EP members. Not even direct barter, but a debt of honour to be discharged by helping others at the next opportunity, or balanced against help already given. (There is also the advantage that you can receive several valid and independent contributions - a very expensive way to use paid consultants).

The trick is to reduce that to a simple enough graphic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chabrenas For This Useful Post:

Clinton (25 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    However, I am very angry that the woman is portrayed as being legless.
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend! It was just a quick sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    The trick is to reduce that to a simple enough graphic.
    Of course simplicity is one of the things to aim for in the design. You still have to include all the info though.

I'd be interested to see exactly what people think should be included? Any particular sorts of image? My idea was based around all the Experienced People waiting around a bus stop to help those who come along however clearly it's aimed at the newbies which is not where Clinton wants to go. Do we want to have one of those typical diagrams to represent the internet or something similar?

Here's some examples of things we could take inspiration from:
    http://img.dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/orig/0/1/7/3/0/173008.jpg (some sort of 3D representation of the internet or websites)
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-i...tes_stop/1.jpg (a cartoon representation of websites)
    http://businesstm.com/wp-content/upl...8/websites.jpg (collage of websites)
    http://www.transactionalwebsite.co.u...ve_content.jpg (fancy show of websites)
    http://www.theshulers.com/whitepaper...uswp_diag6.gif (typical diagram of the web)
    http://www.seopher.com/images/internet.jpg (image supposed to represent the size of the internet)

(My favourite one is the first one.)
    Last edited by Clarkie; 25 March 2012 at 12:10 pm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clarkie For This Useful Post:

Clinton (25 March 2012)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I am very angry that the woman is portrayed as being legless.
    Too much Elijah again?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Kay (25 March 2012)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Thank goodness someone got the joke. It's the dour Scot sense of humour. Not everyone gets it.

I really liked Clarkie's idea/concept. It's a great visual representation of something that would take a heck of a lot of words to say.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    A nice selection there, Clarkie.

I prefer #2 to #1 as that kind of post-it design could be used to pose the kind of questions we get here and to give a snapshot of the kind of discussions we have. Of the top of my head and without thinking too deeply about what we could put on each post-it:
    "What's the best way to sell my site?" "Where are the opportunities with buying websites for their cashflow?" "Any other due diligence suggestions on buying a software reseller?" "Here's how I've valued this site, I would be interested in feedback" etc. Instead of Facebook and Twitter forming the titles for the post-its, we could have our forum section headings - "SEO, SEM and IM"; "Buying a Website" etc., or titles created specifically to go with the body of each post-it: "Due Diligence on Website Purchases", "Exit Plans for Online Businesses".

I like #4 as well though we can't show any existing websites in there and would have to create some templates specifically if we use that kind of design.

My idea was based around all the Experienced People waiting around a bus stop to help those who come along however clearly it's aimed at the newbies which is not where Clinton wants to go
    I'm happy to have newbies, we go out of our way to welcome them. But the facts are that if we work to build up a very large collection of newbies, the type of experienced people we'll end up attracting are those who see that newbie base and see $$$. I'd like it to work in the other direction. Engage and keep the best brains talking and they'll often take a few minutes out of regular discussion to help a newbie along. That's pretty much how the forum has been so far I would say.

Any other suggestions any one?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    (My favourite one is the first one.)
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Any other suggestions any one?
    Another point of discussion that might trigger some input:

What are the differences between EP as implemented today and how it would work as LinkedIn Closed Group with similar aims? (From the point of view of the members, not Clinton's)
    Last edited by Clinton; 25 March 2012 at 4:11 pm. Reason: merged

+ Reply to Thread