+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monetize Your Website Program Reviews 2: Adbrite

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,683 Posts

Monetize Your Website Program Reviews 2: Adbrite

This Adbrite Review page covers the details of the program and its pros and cons.

If you would like to comment on this program and have been sent here by that page, please note that you need to register and accept the forum rules before posting. We have strict rules on post quality and post length and if this is your first post it is your responsibility to ensure that
    a) your post meets our quality standards and
    b) you do not create a link in your post
    ADBRITE REVIEW & FEEDBACK
    1. Program name: adBrite
    2. URL: http://www.adbrite.com/
    3. Country: US
    4. Ad types: Full page ads, banners, in-text links
    5. Ad formats/sizes: Numerous options and combinations, for full list see here
    6. Commission types / Payment Model: CPC, CPM
    7. Rate per click/lead/etc: Dynamic pricing
    8. Payment methods: Check only
    9. Minimum payout: $100
    10. Payout percentage share with publishers: Percentage not specified
    11. Payment frequency: NET 60
    12. Auto-accepts ads / option for manual ad approval: Option to manually review and approve or decline every advertiser available
    13. Setup method: Manual code insertion
    14. Skills and effort required to setup and manage: Basic skills to setup, average time and effort to manage
    15. Time until relevant ads appear on website after signup/installation: Within 24 hours from ad zone placement and ad approval
    16. Conflict with other programs and/or exclusivity: N/A
    17. Requirements / Restrictions: no questionable content of any kind, certain ad placement restrictions apply
    18. Coverage and Geographic focus: Global Coverage, more than 50% of traffic comes from the US
    19. Support/troubleshooting: Email and phone customer service available, comprehensive help center here
    20. Contact info: Online contact form here
    AdBrite is a huge ad exchange network that reaches 300 million global unique visitors every month - Full review of Adbrite here.

Have you used the program? Any tips or suggestions you have? Would you like to add your own review of the program below?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Top Contributor Dave McM is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    We gave adBrite a go on one of our sites back in 2005 and didn't have a particularly great experience then. However, with falling revenues from another major CPC/CPM network, we thought we'd give it another spin.

We duly waited until yesterday to set it up - always that much tidier to deal with whole calendar months, or so we thought.

Logging in with our old account proved impossible. Unfortunately the record of our username and password had gone missing. Sensibly designed password retrieval form ask for a username and send an email to the associated email address. Unfortunately, adBrite's form asks simply for an email - and they had no record of any account relating to any email address we would have been likely to use. So we had to set up a new account. (And then we found we had to use oldnameltd, because oldname was already taken. Grr.)

That done, it was a relatively straightforward process to set up the adverts ("adzones") and get the codes installed. adBrite say on their website that there are three easy steps: tell them about ourselves and our site, pick up the ad code, place it on the site, and that's it! That much is true: it really didn't take long.

They also say that normally it should take three hours for them to make the adzones live, and up to 24 hours for targeted adverts to appear.

Sure enough, after three hours the adzones changed from showing "Please wait" messages to "Your ad here" logos plus a blank space. But here we are, over 24 hours (over 30, actually) down the track, and still nothing more than that.

I've checked the code, and that's fine.

They say that they only advertise on sites in English. I'm sure their code can't be so stupidly designed that it doesn't recognise "en-GB" as a subset of "en", but I've changed our language declaration in our site's header template just in case. Nevertheless, that hasn't apparently made any difference either.

Their horribly confusing website doesn't help. The FAQ aren't particularly useful, at least not if you're trying to troubleshoot. There's mention of a "How adBrite works tutorial", but when I click on that it opens up something called adBrite Exchange. It opens in a new tab, but in fact it's just a bland promotional part of the same site, the bit you get to see when you're considering whether or not to sign up. By the time I'd wandered round in circles for 20 minutes vainly trying to find some actual help, I had about seven tabs open, and that was after I'd closed about half a dozen. OK, it explains their system, but it doesn't tell me what I have to do to get adBrite to actually work.

There is one passage in the "tutorial" for publishers that says, "Just tell us how much you need to sell your inventory for. We put your inventory up for auction in our exchange." I thought at first that I'd missed something and that I should have put a reserve price in somewhere, but I didn't find anywhere in the ad creation tool that gives you a pricing option.

I thought I'd try putting in a support ticket. But I found nothing in the help section to tell you how to seek help beyond the FAQ. Eventually I found a message buried at the bottom of the general "Contact us" page, suggesting that if you hadn't found an answer to your question in the FAQ or if you needed to contact their sales staff, you should email them - the link turned out to be a redirect to a contact form rather than opening a draft email in my email client.

adBrite claim that it's possible to get better revenue than AdSense offers. That may be the case. But with so much hassle, and such a poor (and poorly designed) knowledge base for the user, I'm starting to wonder whether it was worth making the switch.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave McM For This Useful Post:

Clinton (2 May 2012), Mikl (13 May 2012), TheodoreK (2 May 2012)

Top Contributor Dave McM is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I've had no response to the message I sent them after over 36 hours. That's pretty poor. And there are still no adverts showing after nearly 72 hours.

We've had enough. It looks as if we're back to AS - for now, at least.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,683 Posts
    It does seem unusual, Dave. A couple of people I spoke with who use Adbrite all the time say that it works well for them.

I would be annoyed at the lack of response. But if they do respond, it may be still worth giving them a shot (despite the "customer service" being on par on below what Adsense provides).
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I deleted a couple of my adzones by accident once and had to contact them to create some more.
    The first time that I tried, apparently my message never went through for some reason and I waited about half a week and then sent it again.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I guess by now we all know how it ended for Adbrite
    As much as people had issues with them, I got most of me payments and their CPM rate was mostly fair.

All in all I lost $12 when they went under, did anyone lose any any large sums of $$$?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aneil4lom For This Useful Post:

Kay (15 June 2013)

+ Reply to Thread