+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Totally new to this...what should I do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Even if you picked static/evergreen sites, there's still linkbuilding etc., to do on the earlier ones.
    Yea, that's why I'm pushing him to the static/evergreen type site, so he can get to that other stuff. With such limited time to put in, I don't see him being successful any other way (other than if he had funds to outsource it).

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    What do you guys mean by a static/evergreen site? One where the content is static and therefore doesnt need adding to?

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Evergreen sites refer to sites that do not become outdated.

For example, a site that contains gluten free recipes would be evergreen as the recipes would not need to be updated constantly, another example would be a site about lawn care, mulch is still going to be mulch five years from now and I don't think composting technology is going to expand by leaps and bounds.

An example of a non-evergreen site would be something along the lines of a gadgets blog, gadgets come and go, their lifespans are short, you need to continuously add new content to the site to keep it fresh and keep visitors coming back for more.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've taken on board what you've said about not overstretching myself with too many domains and have now worked it down to a list of 5 possibles from which I'm going to choose an initial one or two domains to concentrate on.

But the one question that I feel is most important in making a decision as to which ones I should register is how to gauge whether the niches I'm aiming for are too competitive to rank for?
    Do any other forum members have any advice to offer on this front? Or is what I've highlighted as my current competition analysis good enough?

I think I'm going to wait till Friday to see what is said before making a judgement call of my own and buying the domains.

Also what is peoples view of .org.uk domains if the .co.uk equivalent is parked and not doing anything? I realise its not for building brands but other people seem to be having success on the exact match front using them as affiliate sites. Should I keep my options open to use these TLD's?

Awaiting your replies

Slim

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    For SEO purposes I believe that .org.uk is just as good as a .co.uk. Prices are more expensive than the gTLD of .org, so it doesn't suit large scale deployment (those who do this domain stuff by the tens of thousands) as reg costs could scupper the plan.

Good point, Peter. He'll get more ideas over the next few days and weeks as these threads tend to do, but in the meanwhile, I'd advise him to setup the site/s and apply for the affiliate programs as it sometimes takes a while to get approval. It'll also allow him to tailor the site based on the programs he's been accepted for. Slim, don't get disappointed if some turn you down, it happens. Just go with the ones you do have, get big enough and everyone will want to have you on their list.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi Slim, looks like you've gotten some great advice here in the thread already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Picky View Post
    I guess I'm just looking for advice to help me get started and take some action!
    So to all the people Clinton referred to, is this idea viable? Should I be using wordpress? Is selling physical products still workable?
    Sounds completely viable to me. I agree with the other comments here though that one site to begin with is best. I use WordPress for almost everything, I love it. Physical products I assume you mean as an Amazon affiliate or Ebay? Yes that is definitely workable.

Does my outlined idea have a glaring hole that I'm not seeing? And most importantly how do I decide which niches to attempt given my experience, or lack of it? I realise there is software to help do this but I have stayed away from these partly due to budgetary constraints but also because I'd like to understand how to do it manually. Kind of like long division...you could use a calculator but wheres the fun in that!
    I agree with Peter that working in areas you are familiar with and enjoy will help keep the motivation up and it will be reflected in your content and ultimately give your site visitors a good experience.

Also how easy is it to get accepted with the various affiliate schemes? I assume they all want a site to see before hand. Would a wordpress blog layout with decent content be sufficient for this?
    I've been accepted into credit programs that I never expected to and been rejected by others that I thought would be a cinch. Some even want to know your traffic stats etc....starting out I would look ShareASale, PepperJamNetwork and to a lesser extent CommissionJunction (I have a few issues with them that's why I say to a lesser extent...but others don't have issues with them.) Depending on the niches you choose, Amazon and Ebay could lend themselves well to your monetization methods. Yes you will need a url to apply for the programs. If you are applying for Ebay and you really feel it's your best option then I would suggest you put the site up here before you apply. They are notoriously difficult to get approved for so getting some feedback before you apply could help but no guarantees of course.

Hi Peter
    Thanks for your advice. I want to start a total of ten sites over the course of the year. The reasoning behind this is since I dont have any experience yet is to try different areas to see which converts best.
    Given your lack of experience I doubt that you will be able to determine if something truly converts better than something else. You'll need quite a bit of experience and knowledge to be able to 'know' when you've done what you can on a site....'know' that it's just not going to get where you want it to with the tactics you're willing to employ, so then you can make an informed decision on where to focus next. So ten might be a stretch...doesn't mean you can't do it but you might end up with false data if you rush through five sites with little experience. We can help you better with one or two to focus on too I'd say.

I agree with Peter that an exact match domain is still helpful; if you can get it then grab it. So I'm assuming you're looking at .co.uk because the search term/s are very specific to a location? What sort of search volume have you been seeing for the phrases you're interested in targeting? ie Is there likely to be enough traffic to see reasonable earnings?

When I look at competition I look much more closely at the results with the phrase not in quotes. I look at whether the top three sites are optimized for the phrase, how many links do they have and what's their page rank. If they look like I can at the very least outperform their on page SEO and get as many if not more links (and or better quality links) I'll consider it but there is even more I'd look at but it would come from a bit of knowledge in the market. It's not all black and white though and that's what the guys so far I think are trying to get across...you will do so much better if you just dig into a niche and get a feel for it. You will be amazed how much you can learn quickly about a market and how that market's customers behave when you actually do something.

Yep you're over thinking it. Nothing and no one will teach you more than your own experience. Just do it.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Post in moderation queue. Please rescue.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Done, sorry about that. It's that spammy Commission Junction

Nice post, Michelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    So I'm assuming you're looking at .co.uk because the search term/s are very specific to a location? What sort of search volume have you been seeing for the phrases you're interested in targeting? ie Is there likely to be enough traffic to see reasonable earnings?
    I'd like to add that getting .co.uk site to rank well outside of the UK can sometimes be tricky. I have #1 spot in the UK for competitive terms and those same pages rank nowhere in Google.com. You can try a US IP, lots of non-UK IBLs etc., and still not rank outside of the UK.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks all for the advice again. Especially Michelle, you cleared up some of the stuff I was stressing over. And Clinton I'm so glad you said that about .org.uk domains, there seems to be some good URL's left in that field. I think I'm going to buy one .co.uk and one .org.uk domain to begin with.
    Michelle thanks for the suggestions of which networks to apply to. I've decided I want to target specifically the UK market and so far the niches I've been looking at seem suited initially to amazon products. I believe since its such a trusted UK online brand customers may be more likely to clickthrough. I dont know how difficult it is to get accepted with them but I guess I need a site up and running first!
    Since I'm looking at niches the traffic numbers aren't huge, for UK exact matches I'm getting looking at keywords getting anywhere between 1000 up to 5000 with a couple over the 10K mark. I've found one which google claims gets 90K exacts a month. I may just reg that one on a whim. The other companies I was looking at are affiliate future, affiliate window and possibly zanox. Does anyone have any tips to offer re what these guys are looking for?

Can I apply to these companies as soon as the site is up or should I add content over a period of time before approaching them? Once approved does that mean I can use those networks on all my sites automatically if they offer relevant products or do I have to be approved for each site?

Michelle could you advise me on a good, newbie friendly, wordpress theme? I'm playing about with atahualpa but I've seen one called affililate theme which is expensive for me but looks like it has a simple GUI to play about with the layout. I'm useless at coding.

Thanks again

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I don't think Amazon is hard to get approved for but you will need a website for sure. I haven't heard of the affiliate programs you mentioned so not sure what they require to get approved. Some content and a nice looking site would be the minimum I would have in place before applying for anything. In the case of Amazon, I'd put no other ads until after you're approved but you will have to specify in your application what other monetization you intend to place on the site...I'd just check the 'other affiliate programs' box to cover most things.

On most of the programs I've used you can advertise the same offers on different websites without getting each site approved but check the guidelines for each offer to be certain.

The affiliate theme looks good...the mulit use package would be best value by the looks of it. If you want to be able to fiddle with the design it looks like they might be a good option...Not being able to see the interface I couldn't say if it really is simple or not but it probably is. There are a ton of free themes around and I would choose one simply on how you want the layout to be if you didn't want to pay for a theme. Getting caught up in the theme, domain name and header graphics is something to watch out for...try to get these things out of the way so you get the thing indexed and start working on content and marketing. (You've asked some good questions though!)

+ Reply to Thread