+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy?

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Greetings.

Wow Mr Oliver, why are you placing a bid when you are not sure if you're going to buy or not? Well, guess what, you guys are right, he bid on my auction and decides not to pay for it when he won it.

http://www.globalempireteam.com/wp-c...hippoliver.jpg

Please see the screenshot and let me know if you guys think Mr Oliver should pay me the money or not.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Barsoom, welcome to experienced-people.net. It looks like you two have a dispute that is best settled at Flippa, not here. But thanks for posting.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks Clinton.

Yes, I just want to ask for second opinion here whether I should insist on the payment or not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Barsroom, as the bulk of the conversation you refer to is outside of this forum - and that image on your site can be deleted at any point - any further discussion here could end up looking disjointed in the months/years ahead. This dispute is Flippa's problem, take it there. You can start a different thread to update us on how Flippa dealt with it.

In any case, the question about whether bidders should complete payment has already been answered by previous posters and myself.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (13 March 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    Barsoom, Welcome to Experienced-People. Any auction company needs to enforce payment for high bidders.

The bidder in this case is a child (17 years old), so his parents are directly responsible for his actions and for payment, based on Flippa's TOS, section 3.1.f https://flippa.com/termsandconditions

My opinion: Questions about due diligence after bidding is irresponsible, if the intent is to not follow through on the agreement to complete the purchase. The auction is complete. He won. You should be paid. Period.

This should be handled by Flippa. Please let us know how this is resolved.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Barsoom (15 March 2012), Clinton (14 March 2012), Kay (14 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks Clinton & KenW3.

I noticed Oliver is now permanently banned from Flippa.

I'll be happy enough if Flippa can relist the website for free and remove the success fees.

I'll keep everyone updated, maybe I'll start a new thread later.

Thanks once again

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Barsoom For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (14 March 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update.

I won't speculate on Flippa's reasons for any ban they impose, but I would expect that if they discovered an account opened by a minor they'd want to close it for that reason alone with or without any other alleged wrongdoing.

I see some lessons for sellers here - don't approve every bid, vet your bidders, check that they are not minors.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Barsoom (15 March 2012), Dave McM (14 March 2012), grynge (23 January 2013), KenW3 (14 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looks like the seller g0geta2000 was banned for faking Paypal screenshots. He would just create an email on whatever domain he was selling at auction and divert his service payments there (paypal alias email). The site being sold at flippa mentioned in this thread is in fact worthless. More info on his scheme here: http://www.daftblogger.com/flippa-sc...iced-websites/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gzed For This Useful Post:

Clinton (24 January 2013), grynge (23 January 2013)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzed View Post
    Looks like the seller g0geta2000 was banned for faking Paypal screenshots. He would just create an email on whatever domain he was selling at auction and divert his service payments there (paypal alias email). The site being sold at flippa mentioned in this thread is in fact worthless. More info on his scheme here: http://www.daftblogger.com/flippa-sc...iced-websites/
    Gotta love the following quote from Ophelie from Flippa on DaftBloggers post

Ophelie June 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

One way to evaluate revenue and traffic is to only bid on listings which have Verified Analytics and Verified AdSense revenue. This information comes to us straight from the Google API, with no opportunity for tampering by the seller.
    So flippa are saying that you should only bid on adsense sites? Maybe Flippa should stop taking listings for any other kind of site? Then no fraud could be committed lol
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    Gotta love the following quote from Ophelie from Flippa on DaftBloggers post

Ophelie June 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

So flippa are saying that you should only bid on adsense sites? Maybe Flippa should stop taking listings for any other kind of site? Then no fraud could be committed lol
    It would be interesting to see if that would hold up in court. If Flippa are publicly saying that they have "verified" Analytics and/or Adsense and that it's not possible to be tampered with, then are they implying they are legally warranting the seller's traffic/revenue claims? They might have it somewhere in a disclaimer, but I would have thought that publicly telling people that you have verified something when you've just got an API feed is a little misleading.

As a broker, I would *never* advise a buyer that I have verified anything 100% as it is almost impossible and my potential liability would be huge. I wonder if Flippa have opened themselves up to a potentially nasty lawsuit if someone buys a large site based on "verified" Adsense/Analytics and ends up losing a few hundred grand - dragging Flippa and probably a seller they can't track down into court. It's really not that hard to inflate GA or Adsense and I'm sure there are plenty of willing scammers who would do it for a 6 figure pay day.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

Clinton (24 January 2013), grynge (23 January 2013)

+ Reply to Thread