+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy?

Dormant Account
    Thanks

To buy or not to buy?

Hi there, iv been bidding on this site for the past day now and I'm currently the high bidder. I'm not 100% sure if I can make money on this site or if it's just set up to lure me in and take my money? I'd appreciate any advice, and is it worth the $1975 BIN? Thanks!

Article Writing Business - Made $719 in First 9 Days! - Easy Biz, No Exp Req
    Last edited by Clinton; 11 March 2012 at 1:39 am. Reason: made link live

Thanks
    My first question is what question did you ask that got deleted?

First the positive:
    - Seller has a good feedback rating
    - Lots of other bids have come in so some people think it's a good deal

Now the negatives:
    - A whopping 9 whole days of revenue! Wow!! (extreme sarcasm intentional). This is not only not a track record, it's not even a recordette. Who knows how he primed the pump, through a special offer, by having a known email list buy the product, etc. This alone is a deal breaker to me, got to see at least 6 months track record.
    - Seller's profile appears to be linked to a half dozen other profiles. The paranoid buyer in me thinks he may be selling sites to himself to be able to leave feedback. No proof of course and links can be false positives.
    - The BIN added items are overvalued
    - The seller's icon is an uploaded "Top Seller" badge, trying to make it look like Flippa has labeled him a top seller.
    - Claims it's an evergreen business that, from the revenue, is printing money but he wants to sell after only 9 days. Smells fishy...
    - Skype call proof from previous buyer, if legit is cool but seems too "used car salesman" to me.

Bottom line. He sounds like a hype machine that creates sites, sells them quickly based on very short term revenue and then moves on. He certainly could be legit. My philosophy though is that anyone can sprint for 30 feet but you wouldn't want to assume they could run a 4 minute mile. Same with websites, only 9 days of revenue is no proof of how the site will do long term.

TL;DR Way too much salesmanship and short track record, I'd stay away.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FinanceGuy For This Useful Post:

Clinton (11 March 2012), David S (11 March 2012), Fish (11 March 2012), grynge (23 January 2013), JohnP (12 March 2012), Kay (11 March 2012), KenW3 (11 March 2012), sitemaster (10 March 2012)

Thanks
    my main concern with such sites (new services) is if you can keep the orders coming. That should be the main question to answer here.

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    The domain kind of locks you into a price forever.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Hey Chippoliver2, what happened?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    looks like a new player came in and snapped it up for bin
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    it was direct copy of perfectarticleservice(dot)com, which is a cheaper copy of myarticlewritingservice.com which is probably a copy of articlegigs.net which may have been the site that actually sold the $700 worth of work

hmm another copy looks like the guy set up dozens of these things, haven't found the original one yet

I hope it wasn't you that bought it chip
    Non ducor, duco

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Clinton (11 March 2012), David S (11 March 2012), Kay (12 March 2012), KenW3 (11 March 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippoliver2 View Post
    Hi there, iv been bidding on this site for the past day now and I'm currently the high bidder. I'm not 100% sure if I can make money on this site or if it's just set up to lure me in and take my money? I'd appreciate any advice, and is it worth the $1975 BIN? Thanks!
    Chippoliver2, Why are you bidding on a site, when you don't know if you want to complete the transaction to buy it?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Barsoom (15 March 2012), Clinton (11 March 2012), grynge (11 March 2012), Kay (12 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. I ended up bidding up to $1800 then someone came along and BIN which to be honest I'm rather happy about. I'm now looking at this site; https://flippa.com/2711200-pr3-websi...-up-to-250-day

I understand that the website is new and has been set up around a aged domain but I think it has potential and the domain will be easy to work with. What are your opinions? Thanks!

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I've never even used Flippa - it's not what I do. Even so, there are some business ethics and rules which apply regardless of what methods, marketplaces, or sites you're using to pursue your objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by KenW3
    Chippoliver2, Why are you bidding on a site, when you don't know if you want to complete the transaction to buy it?
    This seems crazy to me too. You should do your DD first, and then decide whether you'll bid for something or not. If you bid on something with no idea of whether you really want to buy it or not, then you are just wasting everyone's time. Perhaps your bids pushed the price up so some poor newbie ended up paying more than he needed to for that site.

I think you were lucky to get off and not be obliged to buy that site. But, please, think more carefully in future. IMO your actions in this case were very selfish. You shouldn't bid on anything if you don't want to put your money where your mouth is. You've wasted the seller's time by bidding on something that you may not want to buy. You may also have pushed the price up for those who really did want to buy.

As for this next site you're looking at, well, go and research it for yourself. Come back if you have specific questions about analysing the data. EP is not a place to get consultancy about whether a site is a good deal or not. Some people on here spend hours and hours wading through the dung heap to find good ones. Do you want to short-cut that by having them do your research for you? Sorry, but you'll have to do it for yourself.

EP is a wonderful place to receive free help and advice. Take it and be thankful. But you're backing the wrong horse if you think you can come on here and get some of the industry leaders to do DD for you on any site you just happened to have spotted on a site-selling marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippoliver2
    I understand that the website is new and has been set up around a aged domain but I think it has potential and the domain will be easy to work with. What are your opinions? Thanks!
    What are your opinions? Why ask for ours when you haven't given your own? OK, it's an aged domain and has "potential". Whoop de doo. Is that the extent of the research you've done? Maybe you should just buy it and see what happens. On the other hand you could just put in some bids for it while you're deciding whether you want it or not. Or maybe you could face up to the real world and do your own research and act upon it.

BTW, I haven't even clicked through to look at the site in question, so I've no idea whether it's good or not. Also, you do realise that this is a public forum, don't you? So if the site in question really is any good then one of the many lurking leeches we seem to attract on here will swipe it from under your nose.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Barsoom (15 March 2012), gzed (12 March 2012), KenW3 (12 March 2012)

+ Reply to Thread