+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Google now share data across their properties? What are the SEO implications

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Are you still not just an unnecessary step between the Google user and what they want to buy though? Google would rather rank the actual service/product than a middle man. That makes sense to me and just makes Bing and Yahoo look even worse.
    I don't want to go into detail here, so I've sent you a message - but there's no unnecessary step factor. These sites provide comparisons and convenience not available elsewhere, and there's more to the equation. The sites only work BECAUSE they are aff sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    I can't comment authoritatively on the guy (or the team) that wrote the Google spiders, no one here can, but if I had to guess, I'd guess against them being stupid.

It's the sort of thing that was discussed in VIP about how to defend against content scrapers. Something in the PHP prevents the spiders from seeing the content.
    If you have unique text on a HTML page, you only have to search for a part of it in double quotes and you can usually see where it is (and who has nicked it), if the page has been indexed. On PHP pages, spiders do not always do the job properly. Sometimes PHP site frames also prevent Adsense from running, in my experience. I really don't know enough about PHP to comment properly, I can only say what happens occasionally, and that it happens on PHP sites where I'm only able to put content on via a CMS, so I'm not in a position to mess around with it.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    I don't want to go into detail here, so I've sent you a message - but there's no unnecessary step factor.
    I think there is, so I've sent you a message back

I think we could have this conversation in the open, there's nothing personal about it. Up to you though.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    If you have unique text on a HTML page, you only have to search for a part of it in double quotes and you can usually see where it is (and who has nicked it), if the page has been indexed. On PHP pages, spiders do not always do the job properly. Sometimes PHP site frames also prevent Adsense from running, in my experience. I really don't know enough about PHP to comment properly, I can only say what happens occasionally, and that it happens on PHP sites where I'm only able to put content on via a CMS, so I'm not in a position to mess around with it.
    PHP is not the problem. PHP is just a programming language used to generate HTML to be served. There could be problems with the particular CMS used that make it unusable by the spiders, for example, perhaps it is using some session based mechanism to maintain state. So you are partially correct, in that, such a problem would not occur with a static HTML page.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,673 Posts
    Update: The French privacy watchdog is to meet with Google, on behalf of all EU countries, to discuss this new combined privacy policy of theirs.

The search giant consolidated 60 privacy policies into one single agreement in March.

The EU expressed concern over the legality and impact of the change.

France's information commission, the CNIL, said it was not yet "totally satisfied" with Google's explanation of the amendments.

"We want to untangle the precise way that specific personal data is being used for individual services, and examine what the benefit for the consumer really is," CNIL president Isabelle Falque-Pierrotin said.
    If you're new to buying / selling websites, please read this first.

+ Reply to Thread