+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bootstrap

Top Contributor
    Thanks

Bootstrap

Surprised not to see any discussions about Bootstrap on here

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/index.html

Simple and flexible HTML, CSS, and Javascript for popular user interface components and interactions.
    Basically it provides you with a UI that you can use to build sites/applications. I know most content sites on here use WordPress but I could see this being used to build decent small content sites if not being used for more complex things if you have some coding experience to tie the front and back end together. Then you wouldn't have to worry about constantly updating WP whenever a vulnerability is found and there is enough flexibility in how you put Bootstrap together to create a link network with a minimal footprint.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tke71709 For This Useful Post:

2werty (13 March 2012), benitez17 (14 March 2012), golles (14 March 2012), JJMcClure (13 March 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't work out what it's about. When I click the download link all I get are four CSS files, a couple of images and a couple of js.

Designed for everyone, everywhere.

Need reasons to love Bootstrap? Look no further.
    Well, some clue as to how it works would be good.
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    It also comes as a Wordpress theme for those who prefer WP.

I've come across it recently as I'm looking for responsive designs that will adapt to the size of the browser or mobile device viewing the page.

http://320press.com/wpbs/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ian For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (14 March 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Actually that looks pretty useful, seems like it's just everything you need to build a static site with some JS functionality and instructions on what everything does, in one box. I might build my next static site with it, see what it's like.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Another good static web design template/framework is HTML5 Boilerplate (http://html5boilerplate.com/). It too uses all the current best practices for web design standards which basically makes your sites fast-loading and future-proof.

I haven't used Bootstrap or HTML5 Boilerplate in depth before but I'm tempted to search out some designers who have experience with either of these for a re-design of one of my current static HTML sites. My code has gotten a little dated, although the load time is still very fast (one of the advantages of static HTML sites over Wordpress

I think Bootstrap seems the way to go for my purposes as the code seems a little less bloated.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Well, some clue as to how it works would be good.
    It provides all the building blocks to create a static site.

The 'grid' is simply a bunch of Divs of various sizes that you can create a layout, and all the JS and CSS you'll need to build a basic site is there too, you just need to figure out which styles and features you need from the available selection.

People who know CSS and HTML well could take the styling a step further but this could be used 'as is' by someone who gets the basics of HTML/CSS and is happy with what's in the box.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JJMcClure For This Useful Post:

Clinton (14 March 2012)

+ Reply to Thread