+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is website flipping still an opportunity for beginners today, or has this changed

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Hi Ken, I'm intrigued by your claim that you're able to find the opportunities to invest in "passive income" sites. Most people I know are finding that the sheer amount of time wasted in chasing false leads makes it uneconomical for the odd $10K site they finally manage to acquire.

Any secrets you wish to share?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Hi Ken, I'm intrigued by your claim that you're able to find the opportunities to invest in "passive income" sites. Most people I know are finding that the sheer amount of time wasted in chasing false leads makes it uneconomical for the odd $10K site they finally manage to acquire.

Any secrets you wish to share?
    Secrets? I don't think I have anything ground breaking. Perhaps we've just gotten lucky thus far? We have a set list of criteria that we look for and perform proper due diligence on any seller and their claims. That's about it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kencauley For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (26 March 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    I always used to track effort vs revenue acquired. How many hours of work do you put in (including on chasing leads that don't work out) per $100 of passive income you end up buying in?

You are too modest. What you claim to be doing successfully is way beyond my abilities. If I were to set a list of criteria, go looking for acquisition opportunities to do due diligence on, do the DD and then take over the site ... I'd end up spending several hundred hours per $10K investment. And bear in mind that years of honing my skills has made me, I feel, adept at very quickly weeding out potential lemons.

A few months ago I set out to do just that, scrolled through Flippa listings and picked out with my experienced eye the ones most likely to be decent investments. Did the same with listings at various brokers including Latonas and FlippingEnterprises. I then followed up each one. I ended up spending 200 hours and coming away with nothing.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Thanks
    Hi,
    I wanted to chime in on this thread and report that I too buy lower end, higher risk websites on a fairly regular basis, about 3 to 5 per year. I find that many of them decline in revenue over time and cease to exist either because I simply don't know how to save them or I'm not willing or not interested in doing the kind of work it would take to salvage them.

Other sites maintain their revenue stream and pay for themselves within a year or so without too much effort on my part.

But I continue to invest in websites because there is an occasional property that performs very well. I earn enough on the big winner every couple of years to keep me in the game. And from the others I "learn" not "earn".

Jeff

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goto For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (27 March 2014), dsieg58 (26 March 2014)

+ Reply to Thread