+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flippa vs. Sedo vs. Afternic

Dormant Account
    Thanks

Flippa vs. Sedo vs. Afternic

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone a quick comparison of the visibility that a premium domain gets on various auction platforms. I am using the premium domain name that I am in the process of selling (or developing, whichever comes first), Links.com.

1) Flippa: Excellent visibility. I am using their basic auction placement that costs $20. I didn't wish to pay the price for a Premium placement (which is something I may consider in the future) nor did I use their Feature placement. After 5 days, the placement has received several hundreds of views and many members watching it. The quality of visibility is also high. I received a call from a top tier broker within hours of the placement. For $20, I consider this Excellent visibility.

2) Sedo: A free basic placement will usually bring a few dozen fews per month. A feature placement for $49 will bring about 5 times more views and some high quality contacts. The actual bidding on the site is substantially less than Flippa. Overall, I rate this site as good.

3) Afternic: For some reason the views on this site is very low. Maybe it would be better if I work more with the system and try to understand it better, but the rules are complicated and I don't want to take the chance that I set parameters incorrectly and create problems for myself. I do get email contacts from time to time asking me to set a Buy Now price which seems odd to me, since I have already indicated that the placement is a Make an Offer placement. A bit confusing and I rate this site as Fair.

4) NamePros High Value: This is a nice site considering that there is limited traffic. I get some interesting queries as well as some interesting unsolicited advice. Depending upon the domain name and the price you are looking for this can be a good resource. However, for this particular sale it has limited value. So I will rate it Fair for Super Premium domains but Good for those that are a notch below because the quality of viewers is quite good.

If anyone has different experiences, I would be interested in hearing them.

Rich

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to richrf For This Useful Post:

Andrew (21 March 2012), Chabrenas (21 March 2012), Clinton (21 March 2012), Kay (21 March 2012), KenW3 (21 March 2012), Makeit (21 March 2012), TheodoreK (22 March 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richrf View Post
    3) Afternic: For some reason the views on this site is very low. Maybe it would be better if I work more with the system and try to understand it better, but the rules are complicated and I don't want to take the chance that I set parameters incorrectly and create problems for myself. I do get email contacts from time to time asking me to set a Buy Now price which seems odd to me, since I have already indicated that the placement is a Make an Offer placement. A bit confusing and I rate this site as Fair.
    Rich, NameMedia has representatives that will help you set up your domains for sale. While you are logged into your account, at the very top of the page, there will be a Sales Executive for your account (or it might say Sales Team). Clicking there will provide you with a telephone number. They will also assist by email. Can I assist with some of their rules, perhaps? Increased visibility of your domain names increases the commission you will pay, as they have premium partners to help sell names.

Afternic DLS has four price levels, and will do your appraisals to set these if you prefer. Each name has a Buy Now, a Floor, and a Minimum. There is also a Reserve, but that is not used. The way it works for pricing and sales, if you have these three levels set, is a domain can be sold without your need to become involved. The Buy Now is exactly what it says, the customer clicks a buy-it-now button agreeing to your highest price and Afternic sends you a message your domain has been sold. The sale immediately goes into (Afternic) escrow (which is an 8-step process when they sell a domain name for you).

Setting a Floor and Minimum allows the sales reps to negotiate with a buyer on your behalf, without you needing to become involved. For one domain they priced for me, the Buy Now is 1888, the Floor is 1300, and the Minimum is 944. The way those prices work is: The lowest offer that Afternic will accept is the Minimum (but this is not the lowest sale price). They will notify you of all offers at that price or higher. You do not need to do anything if you have also set a Floor. The Floor price is the lowest amount for which you are willing to sell. For the pricing example shown, if Afternic receives an offer of 944 or higher, but below the 1300 floor, they will negotiate with the prospective buyer for you, to try and bring that buyer up to, or higher than, your Floor price. Any sale price a buyer is willing to pay, that is higher than your Floor, authorizes them to complete the sale and accept payment for the domain.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (21 March 2012), Clinton (21 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks for the additional information. The main problem is the definition of the various price levels. Now I understand that the Reserve Price is not even being used. This helps to better understand what is going on. Thank you.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I gave up on Sedo a few years ago now, for numerous reasons. I wouldnt touch them with a lengthy barge pole!

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Why's that then, rob?
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread