+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off-The-Shelf websites, alternatives to Flippa

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,683 Posts

Off-The-Shelf websites, alternatives to Flippa

Found a decent article on how you can get setup with an off-the-shelf website. I don't like the idea of having to pay the provider a regular monthly/annual subscription, but there are some suggestions on that page which don't involve regular payments.

Any other suggestions for newbies reading our forum to get a quality off-the-shelf or template website at a reasonable cost (if they already have a domain they want to build it on)?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I personally think that there is no reason to pay much (if anything) for a off the shelf site with all of the free and low cost Wordpress themes floating around, so here's my suggestion:

http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/
    http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to benitez17 For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (24 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Advice for people wanting something off the shelf to work with....

Invest in Aristeer and build your own WP site.
    Splurge out and find a great theme for around $50 USD theme forest, woo themes, studio press.
    Check out Concrete5 if your needs are less robust, the themes are cheap and you will never need to look at code in your life.

Do not use a WP freebie theme. The problem with free themes for WP is that you never know when the support is going to be pulled or if they are going to integrate with the plugins you need, WP version and updates can damage your site. Obviously you can just install a new theme but that defeats the off shelf aspect of the solution. More over a lot of the nicer free themes are limited and then you need to pay a fee to fully utilize them, may as well buy your choice of paid theme upfront?

Other issues with WP freebies include code you do not know what it is doing, links you cannot move or remove, backlinks you do not control built into the theme. The need for PHP to even begin making modest changes to your freebie.

I am sure their are cheaper and fully usable options out there but as some one will install a solution like a store into a website for as little as $100, which is probably only 3-5 months rental once off. It seems counter productive. My general feeling these days is if you do not have a couple of $100 for a webspace and its requirements you need to think hard about if your ready to begin. End of the day washing dishes for two weeks to scrounge up the $200 and spending it on....

A good theme!
    Some months akismet or similar...
    Decent hosting with a reputable supplier
    Some content
    That's going to be more productive and long run cheaper than most supposedly DIY solutions which even at $10 a month will take under two years to cost you the same. Leaving you with 2 years of being beholden to their updates or lack of and stuck with a wix build or something which may be great until the new IE comes around and take two months to render 100%. My feelings anyway....

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slowdive For This Useful Post:

Clinton (25 March 2012), Kay (4 July 2012), KenW3 (26 March 2012), TheodoreK (25 March 2012)

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benitez17 View Post
    I personally think that there is no reason to pay much (if anything) for a off the shelf site with all of the free and low cost Wordpress themes floating around, so here's my suggestion:

http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/
    http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/
    What about keyword research (and viability) and proper monetization?

Building a site (or finding someone to build a site) is the easy part. The hard part is building a site that's likely to make a profit. A lot of people spend ages getting a site that looks nice and it makes nothing.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

bwelford (25 March 2012), DomainMagnate (25 March 2012), Kay (25 March 2012), Makeit (6 April 2012), Slowdive (24 March 2012), TheodoreK (25 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead1234 View Post
    What about keyword research (and viability) and proper monetization?
    You think the turnkey sites being sold on Flippa and the like are consistently offering any of this?

Building a site (or finding someone to build a site) is the easy part. The hard part is building a site that's likely to make a profit. A lot of people spend ages getting a site that looks nice and it makes nothing.
    I agree.

Established Member
    Thanks
    I found a woman in Wales who built me two placeholding sites for URLs I owned. She used on a magazine style theme, found 10 very relevant PLR articles tp my two topics, created a header for each website, found some YouTube videos, found some relevant royalty-free images and set up a Facebook page for each website. The cost - $30 each. I can't do that well on Flippa.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (26 March 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Building a site (or finding someone to build a site) is the easy part. The hard part is building a site that's likely to make a profit.
    I disagree. It's not the "building" of the site that's going to make you a profit (despite what those template sellers say). It's what you do with the site after it's built.

Maybe what you meant is exactly what I said, but I just wanted to make clear that much of the claimed value add by the templaters - all that keyword research, auto-updating etc., - is a lot of bull manure.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I just wanted to make clear that much of the claimed value add by the templaters - all that keyword research, auto-updating etc., - is a lot of bull manure.
    I don't agree, Clinton. The keyword research can be very time consuming. It can also be profitable if done correctly. Anyone can knock out a new site in an hour or two, but it takes experience and a good eye for keywords, domains, etc, to knock one out that has any chance of being profitable.

(BTW, please don't look at my own sites as examples of this. LOL. I've learned much more about all this kind of stuff in the last couple of years.)

Perhaps I misunderstood you - the claimed value - that could be a totally different thing. How can anyone know if the claims are true unless they're already able to figure out how to do that wizardry themselves?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The keyword research can be very time consuming. It can also be profitable if done correctly.
    Why is it even necessary to do keyword research?

I know this stands all conventional beliefs on their head, but I think it's completely ridiculous that people do keyword research before starting a site!

The type of research you need to do before starting a new business is market research - what the competition is selling, what their prices are, how big is the market etc. Reseaching PPC is a valid activity - seeing how much keywords costs and how many clicks are estimated = valid activity. That's not keyword research.

The only type of people who are into keyword research are those who want to build a reliance on Google from the get-go. That seems, to me, to be a completely nonsensical way to go about things. Builders of template sites have a good reason to get people to buy into this whole idea of finding a niche that's less competitive in the SERPs and building a site in that niche so they can wring some traffic out of Google. The fact that these new sites get a temporary burst in SERPs visibility plays nicely into the hands of these template creators and gives them a window in which to quickly get rid of the site.

Building in the hope you can get some free traffic to drive your profit is completely hackneyed, simplistic, not business-like and a very bad idea, IMO. There's nothing wrong with free traffic. However, building a site exclusively for Google free traffic - having free traffic as core to your business plan - is dumb.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

benitez17 (25 March 2012), bwelford (25 March 2012), Chabrenas (26 March 2012), DavidMaurer (27 March 2012), Makeit (6 April 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I agree with most of this but this statement is a large generalisation....
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    The only type of people who are into keyword research are those who want to build a reliance on Google from the get-go. That seems, to me, to be a completely nonsensical way to go about things. Builders of template sites have a good reason to get people to buy into this whole idea of finding a niche that's less competitive in the SERPs and building a site in that niche so they can wring some traffic out of Google. The fact that these new sites get a temporary burst in SERPs visibility plays nicely into the hands of these template creators and gives them a window in which to quickly get rid of the site.
    I am into keyword research and also loath it if my site traffic becomes largely G based, I have often mentioned what google traffic seems to do on my sites. However course for horses and you need to take the site and its target market into account.

Why would keyword research dictate that I was looking for reliance? Lets say I have a great idea and one that could go viral, well finding under utilized highly searched terms is bringing me potentially hundreds or thousands of visitors. If my site is sticky and if I do my job right they will pass my site along and increase my direct traffic, my social mentions and my mailing list.

If your selling something keyword research is a great tool to discover what information people require, so it does not matter if that your how to hook up your dvd system brings you hits, but if 100k people are searching it you better include it and include it better than the no1 on G even if your 15k on the serps.

More over if you refine a topic enough, you should find terms that are simply not targeted and will bring you say 50 visitors a month but those visitors, 10 of them may well be lazer targeted and as such profitable. The fact the term is so specific and if your lucky unnoticed means that you have roughly zero seo competition. In this instance you are also not beholden to google as you are the only player in the game, so only way your losing that traffic is the search term becomes more popular, or you get de-indexed.

The trick with google is to use it to increase your site and its user base in ways that stop you requiring G, ignoring the advantage that serps can bring you or the fact that they dictate what your market is searching for would be going to an extreme for me. Take google traffic and convert it into none serp reliant visitors, do not discount the visitors you can so easily have.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slowdive For This Useful Post:

bwelford (26 March 2012), Chabrenas (26 March 2012), crabfoot (25 March 2012), KenW3 (26 March 2012)

+ Reply to Thread