+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Off-The-Shelf websites, alternatives to Flippa

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Why do you keep talking about traffic? Traffic is not money. Who gives a stuff about traffic? I want visitors who want to buy something (or click on an advert). I agree about believing the stats, though. If I ran our best site through all the metrics, it's a no-hoper, and yet it pays the bills every month.
    I do care about traffic. Because in many situations traffic IS money. You are only thinking of CPC or CPA but there are other advertising revenue models like CPM. In my case I get a good revenue from it.

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 Times in 2,113 Posts
    Yes, of course you need traffic. Is there really any point in making such obvious statements? Without traffic, you might as well not bother having a website. Traffic that converts into money is a lot more interesting for me than traffic from SU or wherever just for the sake of saying you have traffic.

OK, so you can make money from CPM. Yes, I agree you can. However, I would argue that one can do that because the advertisers don't have much idea of what they're buying. Let's say that someone has a site that gets 10k visitors per day. Then I'd want to know where these visitors are coming from and why they're visiting the site. If They're SUers, then they're not very valuable visitors.

On the other hand, let's say the same site has 300 people per day who want to buy toenail fungus, now we're talking! Here is a targeted audience who's interested in buying the product the site sells.

Quote Originally Posted by delta4
    You are only thinking of CPC or CPA but there are other advertising revenue models like CPM.
    No. I'm not only thinking about CPC or CPA. I'm simply doing some market research for this hypothetical site. I'm looking to see what demand there is for the product, etc, etc. I never said how I would monetise the site. Everyone else is thinking in terms of how they personally might go about monetising it or what decisions they would make based on the monetisation methods they've thought about.

Maybe I was going to monetise it by sending my cat round to lick off the toenal fungus. I'll only need 20 willing buyers per day to be making enough money to pay the cat's salary and make my profit. Why would I want a million SU people wasting my bandwidth?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

My Blog - online business, book reviews and stuff. Comments are welcome.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    OK, so you can make money from CPM. Yes, I agree you can. However, I would argue that one can do that because the advertisers don't have much idea of what they're buying. Let's say that someone has a site that gets 10k visitors per day. Then I'd want to know where these visitors are coming from and why they're visiting the site. If They're SUers, then they're not very valuable visitors.

On the other hand, let's say the same site has 300 people per day who want to buy toenail fungus, now we're talking! Here is a targeted audience who's interested in buying the product the site sells.
    I agree with you. I also prefer targeted audience. But many times CPM is an option especially when you have a lot of space to fill and have advertisers that only want to promote brand or service to a specific niche. And advertisers pay according to info about audience and if it's highly targeted or not.

I have a mobile phones site on a market that there only exist 3 more that can be considered competition. My advertisers at that site want CPM filtered by specific country. That is my primary source revenue. The second one is CPA with highly targeted products related to niche. But CPM wins by alot.

I know I am saying obvious things but was just to say that I want lots of traffic sometimes. When it's from somewhere that fills my advertisers needs.

Maybe I was going to monetise it by sending my cat round to lick off the toenal fungus. I'll only need 20 willing buyers per day to be making enough money to pay the cat's salary and make my profit. Why would I want a million SU people wasting my bandwidth?
    Like I said before in case I have advertisers that want that type of advertising I want them. But we are talking about different sites and that's why our different opinions. I am talking about sites that must have lots of pageviews and in your case of sites that are highly targeted to a product and where a different strategy is needed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delta4 For This Useful Post:

Kay (29 March 2012)

+ Reply to Thread