+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Domain worth anything? how best to sell?

Thanks

Domain worth anything? how best to sell?

Hey guys.

I'm a lazy guy and over the years picked up a few domains and done deals here and there.

Wondered if I could get some feedback on what one of the domains is worth and if I got a good deal, I don't expect I did.

This domain I want to sell:

GetRichNetwork.com - bought after years I emailing the guy.

Idea was to do a network of get rich related stuff but I 'fell out of love' with the whole industry and looking to move on with other stuff.

If I was to sell, i'd not want to do the whole waiting around thing, trying to sell for months, I'd prefer to do a quick sale and sell for less.

Mike

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Hi Mike, it's an advantage that it's a .com, but otherwise it doesn't seem that valuable a domain, sorry. A general rule of thumb is that the more words you have in the domain, the less its value. GetRich would therefore be more valuable than the getrichnetwork. The other consideration is what alternatives are available to the type of person who'd want your domain. GetRichPartners.com, GetRichTeams.com and other synonyms are available for free registration today. It doesn't help that you haven't protected the domain by buying, for example, GetRichNetworks.com which has already been registered.
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,841 Posts
    I'm quite into domains, although I'm not an expert. I wouldn't even spend the registration fee for that one. Sorry. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer. Good luck if you are going to try to sell it. There might be value in it if you have IBL or something, but the domain itself doesn't seem like a winner to me.

Don't believe my opinion. Go on one of the domaining forums and see what they might have to say about it.
    British Expat - escape from Blighty and explore a whole new set of problems whilst enjoying the laptop lifestyle in the sun.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Agree with the above...
    but with relevant content and an active buzzing site - it could be valuable - but as a domain on its own - no...
    I always look for alternative domains before making a purchase...

Alasdair

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 664 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Idea was to do a network of get rich related stuff but I 'fell out of love' with the whole industry and looking to move on with other stuff.

If I was to sell, i'd not want to do the whole waiting around thing, trying to sell for months, I'd prefer to do a quick sale and sell for less.

Mike
    The get-rich niche is a tough one, filled with dreamers instead of people willing to work towards goals. Selling at the wholesale level is usually somewhere between 8% and 20% of retail valuation, depending upon several factors. Even then, there is no liquidity in the domain name market once a name is purchased. If you were to offer the name on a forum with a lot of n00bs, where it is typical to find that mindset, you could probably get a sale. You wouldn't get much, if anything, on a forum like EP or WMW.

Valuate.com shows a value for GetRich.com of $3,900 for the name. Quite often, Valuate is overpriced, but that seven-letter dot com is probably worth half to three-quarters of that, undeveloped, considering GetRich.net was sold on Sedo in March of last year for a thousand dollars even. Valuate.com shows the plural of your name as worth about 20% of the name you have, with the singular, GetRichNetwork.com being worth $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm a lazy guy
    If this is a serious statement, just drop the name. Taking the time to ask about it here, and then respond to answers provided to you by members willing (and able) to make an effort to help you, doesn't suggest this is true

If I owned it, I'd shop it to the people who currently own the dot net and dot org first, then work my way through the others with a similar focus. If that doesn't work, offer it to those webmasters ranking for the keywords, working your way through the SERPs until someone eventually says they'll take it. This domain name may not be worth too much of an extended effort, though, based on valuation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Clinton (29 March 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Agree with the above - I'm also into domains (hold about 50). The only advantage to that domain is if you setup your website correctly with SEO then if any searches for "get", "rich", and "network" your domain will appear higher up the list - keywords within domain names are important but (obviously) there's a lot of other work as well. If you had a competing site with similar content but it was called "anyolddomain.com" then everything else being equal your site should appear above it in Google.

Keywords in domain names do work - I've got quite a few high up on page 1 for niche phrases that my customers would type in trying to find me. It doesn't work on its own though, your content has to be worthwhile e.g. not just a redirect!

Like Kay said, I wouldn't buy it. The only related domain I'd buy if I was interested (which I'm not ) would be getrichquickly.com.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveGill For This Useful Post:

Slowdive (29 March 2012)

Established Member
    Thanks
    Hi Michael. I sell domains and, while there's no need to add to the evaluations above, I will make one comment. When people tell you "the domain would be good if it was developed" (or some variation of that), it's just a nice way of saying the domain is crap. In other words, don't take those words to mean you should develop.

Yes, if it were developed, it would be better than bungiejumpingkangaroos.com, but only because the domain makes it clear what your subject is. Many similar available domains could do that, though. If you are going to make the effort to develop, you are way better off starting with the best domain you can afford - ideally one that is both memorable and matches a heavily searched phrase.

When you drop the name, it just may be picked up because it is 7 years old, and the .net and .org are registered. That is a suggestion that the name has value to some. However, since the .org and .net are both undeveloped and probably held by domainers with dreams. If it is picked up, don't take that as a sign you should have kept it. Just take it as a sign that you were not out of the ballpark when you acquired it.

I still feel slightly threatened when my dropped domains (and there are many) are picked up, sometimes by major domainers (did I miss something?). But I would feel far worse if nobody picked them up.

It's nice to hear you've moved past the get-rich meme. You might start to make more money now

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fish For This Useful Post:

Kay (29 March 2012), KenW3 (29 March 2012), Makeit (6 April 2012)

Thanks
    It has some value on the reseller market, but not much. However it's a pretty good domain for someone looking to create a product or start a company in the niche. If you find a motivated end user (and there are quite a few in that area) you should be able to get 3-4 figures for it.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,597 Posts
    DM, it looks like you've got an opportunity here. If you feel you can get a four figure sum for it, you might want to drop Michael a PM with an offer.
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    DM, it looks like you've got an opportunity here. If you feel you can get a four figure sum for it, you might want to drop Michael a PM with an offer.
    Clinton, note the "if" and "should be able" in my message Meaning it involves some work (researching and approaching potential buyers) and some luck. I don't do much domaining lately, so I only buy premium names now whenever I find good deals (like 1 word .net's). But if Michael is willing to sell it very cheap (like $20 - the reseller price I mentioned earlier) I'd buy it, we are testing our new end user finding soft so I could use this name for it.

+ Reply to Thread