+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New UK Domainer forum

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,017 Posts

New UK Domainer forum

The disillusioned old reprobates that have become fed up of the yoof movement on Acorn domains have set up a new UK domaining forum at
    http://www.ukdomainforum.co.uk

Signing up involves giving a mobile cell phone number, and requires the approval of Admin before you can post.

It might be interesting, it might get interesting - I don't know yet. I don't have the approval of Admin yet. All I can do is wander around the public sections until the Admin gets his roller skates on and approves my membership.

It is there - perhaps other people can make a better assessment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Clinton (30 March 2012)

Established Member
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with Acorn, but I am familiar with the pattern. Splitting off from a forum seems to be how a lot of new forums get their start.

A few years ago, a group of us, mostly in the U.S., were very active on a small business forum that had a really good core group. The ownership of the forum changed and the new owner essentially let the whole thing slide. The worst of it was he could have simply appointed a few more volunteer moderators who would have done most of the work (other than the technical side over which he had pretty much sole control). Nothing was done, so three members set up a new forum and in very short order almost the entire core group departed for the new forum. The old forum is now so lifeless that even the spammers pretty much leave it alone.

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,278 Times in 2,098 Posts
    I was keen to have a forum to discuss domains here on EP. However, very few people added their support to my request. I expect it's not too late.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...d-Siteflipping

Signing up involves giving a mobile cell phone number...
    Thanks for the warning - that's a forum I won't be joining then. There is only one person in the whole world who knows my mobile phone number (and I'm married to him). I can't think of any reason why I might want someone else phoning me and disturbing whatever I happen to be doing at the time. BTW, I got banned from another domaining forum. Considering I was reading the rules prior to posting, the only reason I can think of for being banned is that I put 1234567 as my phone number when I registered.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

My Blog - online business, book reviews and stuff. Comments are welcome.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,658 Posts
    Kay, in addition to the public support for your idea, I've had a couple of PMs. Bear in mind that this isn't a vote so requesting opinions won't necessarily get a flood of for and against. It's not easy to judge support based on just public posts (which is something I'm still learning).

crabfoot, any link to what sparked the revolt?
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Kay (30 March 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    crabfoot, any link to what sparked the revolt?
    Not really a revolt, more a general disillusionment about the attitude of a lot of recent members joining Acorn - the whole place has gone a bit "Essex" attitude-wise, particularly "Barking" if you know what I mean. Some people were so fed up that they formally resigned from Acorn a long time before the new forum was set up. I've been spending so much time here, I haven't really been paying attention, but I'm sure the saner Acorn members we have here on E-P will have more points to contribute.

The new forum is run by Dale Hubbard, someone I have trusted in the past and will trust in the future. He's graciously apologised about my problems getting access, which is more than you get at Acorn (as you are quite aware, Clinton).

For some reason he's moved to China - although I couldn't access all areas or make posts, I sent him a PM titled "are you having a nap?", and it turned out that was the case!

Membership stands at 188, and looking around I see quite a lot to like about the place. If it starts working like the Acorn of old, it could become a very good place for E-P members to buy useful domains and sites worth building on.

@Kay - the site only uses the telephone number to send an SMS message with an access code. No spam ads, etc.

If you're touchy about giving away your number, why don't you buy a pay-as-you-go SIM cheaply? 99p, get a fiver credit voucher, and your paranoia is alleviated. Your technical support agent can put it in his phone and use it to do these sticky tasks, then use up the credit at a later date - am I right, Dave?

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I am happy to vouch for Dale / the forum. Hes not dodgy and I think its refreshing to have some form of check against idiots signing up.

As for Acorn, it has sadly turned into abit of a carboot and doesnt have the reputation it used to. Infact was discussing forums on the phone the other day - and EP was my #1 to recommend (slurp slurp) - and good to see Khalid signed up as a result!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Clinton (30 March 2012)

Established Member
    Thanks
    "Essex" attitude? "Barking"? carboot? Does Google translator convert British English to American English?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (30 March 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    "Essex" attitude? "Barking"? carboot? Does Google translator convert British English to American English?
    Just think "South side Chicago", garage sale, - Barking is a place in Essex but it has other connotations linked to the fact that it has a creek (as in up the creek) and is associated with madness (as in barking mad).

Wizzaronythinelsesorr?
    Last edited by crabfoot; 30 March 2012 at 2:24 pm.

+ Reply to Thread