+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making money by selling subscriptions

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 2,082 Posts

Making money by selling subscriptions

This isn't about a pure make money online venture, because the particular story refers to the delivery of a physical product. However, it's an interesting read and may give you an insight into selling subscriptions online.

New York Times article

I think subscription models work best in two instances... Where the product is a necessity or when it’s an absolute passion.
    I can see what he's getting at but I don't totally agree. I guess it depends on your definition of "necessity". In this case food is a necessity for dogs because they can't live without it. However, I've had some success in selling useful information to people. Sure, they can live without it if they don't want to pay, but they find that it makes their lives a lot easier if they have access to the info. Perhaps "solve a problem" would be a better way to put it.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

My Blog - latest - How I messed up with Doug Richard

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Dave (8 February 2013), KenW3 (7 April 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    This isn't about a pure make money online venture, because the particular story refers to the delivery of a physical product. However, it's an interesting read and may give you an insight into selling subscriptions online.

New York Times article

I can see what he's getting at but I don't totally agree. I guess it depends on your definition of "necessity". In this case food is a necessity for dogs because they can't live without it. However, I've had some success in selling useful information to people. Sure, they can live without it if they don't want to pay, but they find that it makes their lives a lot easier if they have access to the info. Perhaps "solve a problem" would be a better way to put it.
    I agree with you Kay. I make most of my money online from a subscription site for financial information, and it's not a necessity or really addressing what most people would consider a passion. My goal is to solve a problem (which in this case is basically compiling information) more efficiently than a person could do on their own.

Established Member
    Thanks
    From the article, I thought an important thought was:
    “I think subscription models work best in two instances,” he said. “Where the product is a necessity or when it’s an absolute passion."
    One powerful idea in marketing IMHO is to look for those who are suffering pain and provide a way of taking away that pain. I think that would provide an even stronger lever on getting consumers to subscribe to your product or service.

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 2,082 Posts
    As well as solving problems, you can also charge for saving people's time, just like Bentz suggested. Even if the info is all available for free (which in the case of my site it isn't) you can still save people a lot of time by compiling it. A lot of people don't want to spend all day searching for something, or traipsing round various sites, if they can just go to one site and get it handed to them on a plate.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

My Blog - latest - How I messed up with Doug Richard

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (8 April 2012)

+ Reply to Thread