View Poll Results: How often do you procrastinate?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

0 0%
  • Infrequently

3 12.00%
  • Sometimes

4 16.00%
  • Frequently

14 56.00%
  • Always

4 16.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FP - Any procrastinators out there?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I voted "infrequently".

I rarely procrastinate and when I do I try to make up for any lost time with extra work. I think the trick against procrastination is to have many things to do, some of them not urgent. That way you can work on the less urgent stuff instead of procrastinating.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheodoreK For This Useful Post:

succor (28 April 2012)

Established Member
    Thanks

Talking

@TheodoreK

You're doing better than the average person then; at least those participating in this poll.

I read an article a while back that suggested that procrastinating sometimes was a good thing. Apparently it added a little bit of stress to the situation which makes it easier to concentrate and heightens your senses.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by succor View Post
    I read an article a while back that suggested that procrastinating sometimes was a good thing. Apparently it added a little bit of stress to the situation which makes it easier to concentrate and heightens your senses.
    Sounds like the author of this article was making excuses, no?

People procrastinating will dish out all sorts of excuses like analysis paralysis and haste makes waste.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheodoreK For This Useful Post:

succor (28 April 2012)

Established Member
    Thanks
    I've read a couple of good books recently which deal with the subject of procrastination, based on scientific research.
    One of them is Willpower , with a good summary of it by one of the co-authors in this NYT article.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

succor (1 May 2012), TheodoreK (28 April 2012)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,860 Posts
    I voted too - I frequently procrastinate. But it very much depends on what's needing to be done. If it's something interesting, then I can't wait to get stuck in, if it's routine or boring then I'll try to put it off for as long as possible.

One of my old school teachers used to say, "Procrastination is the thief of time". I guess that's true.
    British Expat - escape from Blighty and explore a whole new set of problems whilst enjoying the laptop lifestyle in the sun.

Kay McMahon - my blog - just some posts about stuff that interests me. Designed to look like a 1990s garden shed. Come in and have a look around. You might find something of interest.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

succor (1 May 2012)

Established Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheodoreK View Post
    Sounds like the author of this article was making excuses, no? ....
    Okay, you got me; but isn't that what we procrastinators do? Make excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I've read a couple of good books recently which deal with the subject of procrastination, based on scientific research....
    Thanks for the link to the book; it looks like it is about self control. I'm not sure if self control and procrastinating are related though; I am sure that a case could be made either way though. I'm going to try and borrow it from the library before I buy it. Anyhow, it reminded me of the following quote.
    The greatest victory a man can win is victory over himself. -- Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I voted too - I frequently procrastinate....One of my old school teachers used to say, "Procrastination is the thief of time". I guess that's true.
    Thanks for voting.
    Thanks for the quote too; your teachers were quoting Edward Young, a British poet, I found out. I like quotes and I, ah, hmm, collect them for lack of a better word; this one has been added to my collection.

Established Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link to the book; it looks like it is about self control. I'm not sure if self control and procrastinating are related though
    According to the authors they are , with one link being that procrastinators are more likely to have the trait of impulsiveness, and are more likely to change to doing things to improve their current mood when bored or when tackling difficult tasks.

They have some good recommendations on strategies to get around this problem - which I have naturally been putting off implementing :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

succor (1 May 2012)

Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 956 Posts
    VERY old joke:

Thomas - "Hey, John, what was you thinkin' when you told me that "procrastinate" means to "put something off"?"

John -"Well, it does, Tom".

Thomas - "Then how come the bus conductor larfed his head off when I asked him to procrastinate me in Charing Cross Road?"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

succor (1 May 2012)

Established Member
    Thanks
    I guess I procrastinated long enough before finally responding to this poll. No doubt about it, I frequently procrastinate (as I am doing at this very minute since this is not the reason I am sitting in front of my computer).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

succor (1 May 2012)

+ Reply to Thread