+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Big Welcome To Members From Flipping Planet

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,660 Posts
    We're getting there with the thanks

If you go to this old FP post, for example, you'll see all the thankyous at the bottom! The thankyou count for each user isn't showing yet, but we'll sort it. I must acknowledge here the huge assistance from akirk. Many thanks, Alasdair.
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    not a problem Clinton - happy to help...

just to clarify Clinton's example above - the first post will now be accurate in its post thanks counts (I updated it to confirm where it was held!), but all others from FP will not yet be correct - I will be writing a script to be run to update that - you may also find that personal thanks counts are not quite accurate - that will also be updated - any other queries / anomalies - please let Clinton know! We will then address them...

Alasdair

3. The Following User Says Thank You to akirk For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (26 April 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 692 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akirk View Post
    all others from FP will not yet be correct - I will be writing a script to be run to update that - you may also find that personal thanks counts are not quite accurate - that will also be updated
    Will EP members clicking on the Thanks button and giving rep for useful posts affect your update script? There are an amazing number of high quality posts that have been imported from Flipping Planet which deserve rep and to be thanked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

akirk (26 April 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenW3 View Post
    Will EP members clicking on the Thanks button and giving rep for useful posts affect your update script? There are an amazing number of high quality posts that have been imported from Flipping Planet which deserve rep and to be thanked.
    Thank you Ken - good question...

not a problem at all...
    the big one (not difficult, but had to get right) was the importing of the FP thanks table into EP - we had to automate the matching of users across the two systems - and the posts as well, as they had been imported and had new post numbers...
    once that was all done - the FP thanks table was this afternoon added onto the EP thanks table - giving one big happy cuddly thanks table

the bits which are not yet up to date are other locations in the database - such as in the posts table where there is a field giving the total number of thanks against that post - bad table design as the info can be derived from a count of thanks from the thanks table - but quicker to load threads that way (though slower to process thanks...)

because these other bits are all fields needing updating against specific rows we can run the script as often as we like and it will make it acurrate as of that moment - and there on...
    so, we will have the script next week - close forum - run script - open forum, carry on...
    as the scripts will just be refreshing totals - it doesn't matter whether you have added thanks before etc.

so if it should be 20 thanks and it is currently listed as 2
    adding a thanks will mean it should be 21 and will say 3

we then run the script which simply counts the thanks listed against that post ID - see there are 21 (or 20 if you hadn't added the thanks) and update the table...

a long winded way (for those interested - and I guess this is def. on topic for EP as it is about forums!) of saying - carry on!
    we won't take any steps (except during a forum down time which will be minimal) which change how you use the forum

Alasdair

7. The Following User Says Thank You to akirk For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (26 April 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    We're getting there with the thanks

If you go to this old FP post, for example, you'll see all the thankyous at the bottom! The thankyou count for each user isn't showing yet, but we'll sort it. I must acknowledge here the huge assistance from akirk. Many thanks, Alasdair.
    I noticed that only the thanks for the first post have been restored. What about the thanks for the other nearly 200 posts in the thread?

I'm assuming there will be an update here when you are finished, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by KenW3 View Post
    I do some DB work and I know how sometimes the smallest change can have the most adverse effect on things. I'm not sure how the tables are set up, how they are interconnected, or how the script works so I have a question. I am an EP member now, but I was an FP member... if I start using the thanks button will it mess things up?
    1) Will it mess up your script?
    2) Will it hamper your efforts, or create extra work, to restore the thanks to the imported FP posts?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to succor For This Useful Post:

akirk (27 April 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Will have a look at that thread - strange, the thanks table only lists:
    Post id
    thanker id
    thanker name
    date & time

We matched post ids with their new ids, and matched thanker ids / names with their new names / ids...
    it should therefore pick up correctly... However, what i suspect is that the thanks hav come across correctly now, but until the script updates the posts table, they may not always appear... Will check...

No - no issues carrying on, all fp users were shifted across and are now ep users, where someone was on both they have two users, the ep one is active and at the nd we will merge in the fp one...

Alasdair

11. The Following User Says Thank You to akirk For This Useful Post:

succor (27 April 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Had a quick check - all is fine
    as you will see fromthat thread - the thanks is now showing on the second post...

what has happened is that the post entry in the post table has a field saying quantity of thanks - as the posts were imported without thanks - the values will be 0
    updating that value to 1 (there was only 1 record int he post_thanks table) means that the code automatically finds it and displays it - my suspicion is that when the page code sees a value of 0 it doesn't bother looking at the thanks table...

so my script will update those fields next week - and therefore it should all magically appear!

Alasdair

13. The Following User Says Thank You to akirk For This Useful Post:

succor (27 April 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Okay folks - some bits of button-pushing behind the scenes and in theory thanks should all now be accurate...
    We have updated:
    - the total thanks against each post - meaning that they now show where previously they were absent...
    - the thanks against each person:
    - - times you have thanked someone else
    - - number of posts in which someone else has thanked you
    - - number of times in total you have been thanked by someone else

do check your posts / your details - any issues, let me know...

Alasdair

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to akirk For This Useful Post:

Clinton (4 May 2012), grynge (6 May 2012), KenW3 (5 May 2012), succor (5 May 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    From the IMPORTANT FORUM CHANGES - Please Read! thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by imported_Clinton View Post
    I'll import all the groups and all the posts from the groups.
    From this thread:
    Update: It looks like groups from FP didn't get imported either. There are one or two other snags. I'm working on them.
    Anyway, long story a bit shorter: Importing the thankyous (and the groups) is still work in progress.
    How is the importing of the groups coming along?

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,660 Posts
    succor, to be honest, I've been busy with some work in the moderator forum in the last few days and haven't been able to even think about the groups. But I did make the assurance to import groups....

One thing I've noticed though: Most of the FP members who stopped posting in FP haven't returned, you're the only one. It's great you are here and disappointing the other dormant accounts in FP couldn't be revived but that means if I import the groups you'll be a group of one. Would there be any point in that or would you still like them imported?
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

succor (8 May 2012)

+ Reply to Thread