+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ProSearch and Equiniti - are they genuine?

Top Contributor Dave McM is a Premium Member
    Thanks

ProSearch and Equiniti - are they genuine?

I've just had an intriguing letter from a company called ProSearch, who claim that they've been appointed by "a major corporation" to locate someone in connection with "unclaimed entitlements".

They cite my name (correctly, apart from the second capital M in my surname) and former address.

They appear to be genuine - a quick bit of web research suggests that their parent company Equiniti is apparently the UK's largest share registration company and was part of Lloyds TSB a while back. But the letter looks so like the prelude to a junk mail bombardment (it's signed by a squiggle without a real name, for instance) that I hesitated to reply.

I've tried searching for "ProSearch share scam", and come across a few stories where they've reunited shareholders with unclaimed dividends, but only at the cost of most of the dividends claimed. So they're not doing anything that's actually illegal, just indulging in a bit of legal sharp practice.

Has anyone ever come across them before? At the moment I'm inclined to confirm my identity and see what happens next, unless anyone's had any experiences which suggest that would be a bad thing to do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave McM For This Useful Post:

Clinton (29 April 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    If this is regarding shares and you know what you hold - this article in the Grauniad has details on how to check for yourself.

I always find the MSE forums useful for checking out how any odd mail of this nature, and they do have a couple of threads on Prosearch...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

Dave McM (29 April 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 701 Posts
    I receive these types of offers in the US by email and snail mail. There are companies who make their money by finding if there is any money lost by others, and then take a percentage of what is found. Every state has an unclaimed and lost property office, most of which are now online. ...and there are sites like Missing Money

The comptrollers work through the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators which makes the practice of finding money for others less profitable, now that people can see for themselves if there are lost assets. The US government maintains Treasury Hunt for payments owed to individuals they cannot find. Between airlines with unclaimed baggage centers, banks with abandoned accounts, insurance refunds, misplaced pensions, etc., there's a lot of money waiting to be 'found'.

UK sites similar to these are Unclaimed Assets Search and Experian's Unclaimed Assets Register

Quote Originally Posted by Unclaimed.org
    There are many businesses, sometimes called finders or locators, which find legitimate lost property for owners and offer to inform them of how to obtain it for a fee
    <clip>
    The majority of firms that provide these services work within the law, but there are also many unclaimed property scams across the United States.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Clinton (29 April 2012), Dave McM (1 May 2012), Kay (1 May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanks, both. As far as I'm aware, I've only got shares in one company anyway as a result of my life insurance provider de-mutualising. I'll confirm to ProSearch that I am indeed me, as that doesn't commit me to anything further, and see what they have to say.

Thanks
    Well, I got a reply. But it was only to say that because I'm in a country with financial restrictions imposed by the UK and US governments, they can't do anything more and I'll have to contact Equiniti direct. They've given me an 0871 phone number (is that a premium code?) and a snail mail address, but not an email address.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,031 Posts
    They've given me an 0871 phone number (is that a premium code?)
    Could be, or it might just charge "local rate" in UK. Whatever, not cheap from outside UK.

From what you've said, these people watch for unclaimed dividends, then get in touch when it its worth their while - when the dividend will pay their fees and leave a few bob for the claimant. They appear to be relying on the fact that people will not chase them if they are not left out of pocket.

Since you have a good idea where the dividend is from, I'd look for a cheaper way to lay hands on your money, in your place.

+ Reply to Thread