+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sending unsolicited requests to buy sites

Established Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    As a writer, I have to look at the potential demand for what I write. It's probably better for me to aim my writing projects at the segment of market where there are thousands of potential customers.
    Since you are writing a book for buyers, I absolutely agree that you need to write for a broad market. I realize that my experience with larger sites is not directly transferable, but I think that to some extent the underlying point holds true. If a buyer wants to find a site that he can add value to, an organized search for a site based on his or her strategic goals makes sense. It probably makes more sense than scouring Flippa every few days looking for lightning to strike.

I also don't want to give the impression that these were all huge sites, either. Many sites sold in the lower end of six figures.

If your book is aimed at the broadest market, you may be targeting people who are looking to buy a site making $50-$100 a month with the prospect of doubling that with a little work, while still holding down a "real" job that pays the bills. They are probably not thinking strategically at all, but just looking for any type of site that fits their financial goals. For that type of buyer, checking out Flippa and forums is probably the way to go because it is pretty difficult (though not impossible) to find sites that meet those financial criteria without narrowing the search to a more finite number of sites, as you would do if you applied strategic analysis.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Kay (14 April 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    It's a good point, thanks. This "takes time to find them" problem is something that everyone recognises. Most of the people who make money by teaching people how to make money address this by selling some kind of tool to make the job easier. I'm sure you've seen plenty of these around - basically they're saying that Flippa is full of gems but it takes time to find them. If you buy their tool, then it's easy to find loads of good sites. I'm sceptical that there are loads of good sites to find regardless of how good any filtering tool is. Any views on that aspect of it?

BTW, thanks for joining in. It's nice to have a conversation with someone instead of being followed around by the creepy ones.
    You're welcome
    I didn't stress it enough, it took me an AWEFUL amount of time to find them!
    I did see some tools that facilitates the website-hunting task, and I'm still subscribed to FlipFilter.com that is cheap enough to justify the investment but I'm not that impressed.
    Like you, I'm fed up of all the "gurus" and "coaches" full of ideas but short of substance so I'm trying to be carefull with who I follow and deal with..... but I still believe in this industry (or business model).
    Are you skeptical about the whole buying website thing?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to danieleB For This Useful Post:

Kay (14 April 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Are you skeptical about the whole buying website thing?
    LOL! That made me laugh. I'm sceptical of EVERYTHING, especially if it's online. And if it's anything to do with making money online I'm even more sceptical.

I believe that you can make money by buying websites. It's like any other business investment - buy low, sell high. The problem is that the website buying/selling market is contaminated by the IM/MMO brigade, ie those who make money online by teaching people how to make money online. Much of the industry is based on lies. But people want to believe in these lies because they want to believe in the dream of the laptop lifestyle. My book is an attempt to describe the realities of the industry and see how an informed, sensible buyer could make a success of buying websites. I've been working on it for months and have pretty much formed my opinions on most things after a lot of research. Now I'm just trawling around a bit to see if I get any extra opinions or insights before I wrap it all up.

I've tried several of the tools too. FlipFilter is the best I've seen. It does what it says on the tin. Mind you, it's a while since I used that one. BTW, Justin Gilchrist (FlipFilter) is a member here. Another tool is SiteFinderPro by Chris Guthrie (also a member here). SFP comes with all kinds of, er, surprising claims.

Compare and contrast:

http://www.flipfilter.com/ - "tools to buy websites, domains and mobile apps"

http://sitefinderpro.com/ - "Discover how to unearth hundreds of hidden, gold-nugget sites with huge traffic and income... that nobody even knows about!"

I was playing with SFP last week and I can tell you right now that I didn't unearth hundreds of gold-nugget sites. I don't believe there are hundreds there to be found. But there's money to be made by telling people there are all these sites there just waiting for a buyer to come along and pick them up.

The tough thing is trying to cut through all the crap and come up with a realistic investment strategy for a buyer. It's bad enough that the crap exists, but the problem is exacerbated by the fact that most buyers seem to want to believe in it. They don't want to find out that Santa Claus doesn't exist. Maybe some of the stuff was true several years ago but not now. A lot of newcomers to online business haven't realised that yet. I'm always facing an uphill struggle with things I write because people are generally much more keen to believe that it's easy to make money online than they are to learn that much of it is a sham. Oh well, I'd better get back to writing the thing.

You seem to be the ideal customer for my book. I'll give you a free copy when it's finished.

Edit: @DavidS - thanks, good point about the strategic analysis at the higher level.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Hi Kay,

Thanks for the offer of the free book, I'll be happy to read it and write a review about it!

Some random thoughts below...

I agree about all the crap around, but it's the same marketing bullshit as usual?
    If I switch on the TV (that I don't have) I'll see advertising telling me that with a certain deodorant I'll become a chick magnet.

I think we should strive to evaluate products independently by their marketing claims.

Bottom line, nobody should think that it's easy to make money. Online and Offline! Hard work is always required...
    That leads me to a next question: is it easier to make money onlne or offline?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    That leads me to a next question: is it easier to make money online or offline?
    Great question! That would make an interesting thread starter. (Hint, hint. Please.)

Yes, it's all marketing bullshit. But the problem is that many people still believe it. Everyone knows that a certain deodorant won't make you a chick magnet or if I use a certain hairspray it won't cause men to run after me thrusting bunches of flowers into my hands. They don't seem to have attained that level of sophistication online. Droves of people are ready and willing to believe that all they have to do to create a six figure income (passive, of course), is to pay $397 for a course and follow a simple recipe to guaranteed success. Any time you try to do something realistic, you have to compete with all those people telling them what they want to hear. But, as you say, it's the same old thing.

Like you, I believe in the business model of buying websites. I have enough faith left to believe that there are enough people who will want to read a "how to" guide without the crap and hype.

To back up my point about people not being as sophisticated about advertising online, see this thread:
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...-Goodness-Sake!

"The Telegraph", a major British broadsheet, recently got excited about the fact that sometimes Internet Marketers rip people off. And apparently they thought this was newsworthy!
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    This discussion reminds me of a current TV commercial for an American car insurance company that shows why Pinocchio was a bad motivational speaker. He would also be a bad MMO speaker. You can watch the commercial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwVVbHJ_BfU

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Dave McM (15 April 2014), Kay (15 April 2014)

+ Reply to Thread