+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle Challenge by Ryan Deiss - build your own publishing empire

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Kindle Challenge by Ryan Deiss - build your own publishing empire

This is something I came across today. It's a challenge by Ryan Deiss (who he?) in which he is going to demonstrate live over seven days how to get your book to #1 on Kindle for its category and make lots of sales. He aims for 10,000 downloads and 500 sales in the first month, and he'll give a day by day account of what he's doing and whether he's succeeding with it or not.

This kinda appeals to me because I love my Kindle and I would certainly like to make money as a Kindle publisher. I have to say that I'm a bit sceptical and my beady eyes are still looking for the catch. Never mind, I'll try (almost) anything once and with any luck I might learn something. So, here goes.

How To Build Your Own Publishing Empire on Kindle Leveraging the Power of Amazon
    by Ryan Deiss

"...and it's going to make some people very, very wealthy." (Me too, I hope! )

There's more info about it here:

numberonebooksystem.com/kindle-challenge/the-revolution/ (link disabled)

For a limited time, five days, only, Ryan is giving away his eBook, The Kindle Publishing Revolution, free. Please note that this "How To" book is not part of the challenge. He's got a book about "vertical gardening" to use as a case study.

Step one is to download his Publishing Revolution book onto your Kindle (or other eReader), and then step two is to download the PDF version of what seems to be the same thing. I'm confused by this, but perhaps it'll become clearer later on.

Step three is to follow the great Kindle challenge - in other words, watch a video of him outlining his progress every day for seven days.

Video 1 - Getting Started With Amazon KDP
    Here he shows how to upload your book and its cover to Kindle. Hang on a minute, I haven't even written a book yet! Looks like I've got more catching up to do than I'd originally thought to try to keep pace.

Video 2 - My Book Was Approved! What's Next?
    Give your book away for free for five days. It helps increase your downloads and gets you reviews. But you must have a plan in place. He has a 64 step promo plan. But don't worry, he has a club you can join if you need help. (Do I smell an upsell?) Oh well, it's free so far.

That's us up to date until tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'll read his eBook and report back on that.

Stay tuned for the next episode.
    Last edited by Kay; 21 August 2012 at 1:54 am.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (21 August 2012), Slowdive (21 August 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The book is 37 pages long and usually sells for $2.99. The author is very keen on the $2.99 market because you don't need to write a literary masterpiece. Most people will be happy to pay around three bucks for 50-60 pages of useful information. Make the most of being able to give the book away for free for a limited time so other people will share it and help to promote it.

The book itself starts on page four after the legal disclaimer, title page, etc. It looks as though this is going to be a quick read.

Part 1 The Kindle Revolution Has Begun...

It talks up how big a market there is in Kindle books. Apparently more Kindle books are sold these days than all other kinds of books (hardback, paperback, etc) put together.

Part 2 Opportunities in Kindle

It outlines the main four opportunities for independent publishers, ie fiction, non-fiction, niche, and vanity publishing. It discusses some of the pros and cons of each.

Part 3 Multiple Streams of Kindle Income

Once you’ve self-published your first Kindle book, you literally fall down a rabbit hole of opportunities.
    Literally? Gosh! It gives 12 ideas for how to further monetise your success as a Kindle publisher such as teaching, coaching, consultancy, public speaking, etc. It's not all about sitting back and watching the royalties flow in.

Part 4 Getting (Self) Published - a step by step guide to publishing your book on Kindle

Does what it says on the tin.

Part 5 Kindle Marketing Tips and Tricks

This is beyond the scope of this book but he'll give you seven "sneaky tips" so you don't leave empty-handed. These involve user reviews, Google traffic sniping, using Facebook and YouTube, etc.

Part 6 The End and the Beginning

A bit of motivational stuff to encourage you to get on and do it. Don't wait until the opportunity passes you by.

And that's it, other than a short list of references and resources, including at least a couple linking to MMO 'guru' sites.
    Last edited by Kay; 21 August 2012 at 3:14 am.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (31 August 2012), KenW3 (21 August 2012)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay
    It's a challenge by Ryan Deiss (who he?)
    This looks very much like a pre-launch for a new educational product from Ryan Deiss of Salty Droid and Ripoff Report fame. PRWeb has a press release on the NumberOneBookSystem.com site.

It looks like the pre-launch series is set to run for seven days. This is to get all of the affiliates set up and build interest in the product. Prior products have included PiggyBackTraffic.com, PerpetualTrafficFormula.com, about two dozen total at ryandeissproducts.com. I always find it interesting to watch these product launches.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (31 August 2012), Clinton (21 August 2012), Kay (21 August 2012), TheodoreK (21 August 2012)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Kay,

This is very interesting, and it's good that you posted it. But I have to say that I am sceptical about its value. If you look at the Kindle books that are number 1 in their category, many of them are there simply because they are very cheap or free, or because the author has promised things that are not delivered.

This is no reflection of Ryan Deiss (whom I know nothing about). But the fact is that people will download free books in vast numbers regardless of their worth or usefulness; and people will purchase Kindle books that are very cheap if they are well promoted, again regardless of their content or the reputation of the author. In fact, the Kindle store is now flooded with self-published books most of which are of little or no value.

Personally, I would be more impressed if Deiss claimed to be able to get a book published by a mainstream commercial publisher within so-many days.

Still, it's an interesting topic, and I'll "stay tuned" it for a while at least.

Mike

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (10 September 2012), Kay (21 August 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I know nothing about the kindle market place, except my cousin wrote a fiction novel which sold well. She was later approached by a few agents and is now in hard print. The only reason I even mention this is, is although she is undeniably talented she did not do much marketing, was in what the industry would say was the wrong location. So all this really proves I suppose is that if you really have something worth saying it can be a foot hold into the industry and ended up profitable for at least one person.

As to it being as easy as outline above, I have my doubts. I do however think it would be a great platform to give away free information as a form of promotion. One would have to have a very successful site to get there Ebook as much exposure.

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    This is all a big upsell for a new MMO product to sell lots of kindle books for overnight riches, the "Number One Book System" or "NOBS".

Eager affiliates have already started posting reviews all over the internet even though the product itself won't be available to the masses for five more days, here is one review that features most pimping methods used by such affiliates.
    Note that the affiliate code and associated cookie is already in place.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheodoreK For This Useful Post:

bwelford (21 August 2012), Chabrenas (31 August 2012), Clinton (21 August 2012), Dave McM (22 August 2012), Kay (21 August 2012), KenW3 (21 August 2012)

New Member Mentor JimWaller is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I checked this out, and it interested me that there are books for free for a limited up to 5 day run. I decided to look to see what was available. I had some trouble finding them on Amazon, but a discussion thread led me to a site that lists books that are free for the day. While browsing books that are available, I found one that might be interesting for this forum it is called "Domainer's Bible: A Beginner's Guide To Buying and Selling Domain Names" by Paul Tebow

I'm sure there is the same or better information here, but I thought it was interesting to see. I haven't read it yet, so it might be really bad advice. I just thought I'd bring it up because it relates to this forum. If anyone is interested, it should still be free at least for today on amazon.com (not sure about other versions of amazon) You should be able to find it by searching. If not, I could post a link, but I didn't want anyone thinking I was trying to do some sort of affiliate thing.

Jim
    Help bring Janice home My mother-in-law was hospitalized while on vacation (holiday) We're trying to bring her home.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm not in the least bit surprised about the revelations in this thread. I just thought it would be interesting to discuss it and maybe learn something, even if it's only more about how the MMO people operate to sell to newbies.

I am interested in the possibility of publishing a Kindle book, although not doing it to teach people about how to make money. I thought I might do something in the travel niche. I don't see how I've anything to lose by following this through and reporting back here for further discussion. And if I do fall down, then perhaps it'll save someone else from the same mistakes.

It's great that you guys are onto it already. Thanks for all your help. I'll continue with the course and let you know how I get on with it. I reckon I can write a short book within the week so let's see if I can replicate the expected success that this challenge is expected to bring.

One thing that's noticeable about this promotion is that they emphasise "full disclosure", ie they've done this before and are very confident they'll see the same kind of success again. Another thing they emphasise is that they're "starting from scratch", by which they mean not leveraging any list in any niche they're already in. Hmm.

Well, I'm taking the challenge and I will say up front that I won't be starting from scratch because if I do it in the travel niche then I will be using what resources are already behind me.

I really hope that this isn't going to turn out to be another James Schramko experience where he spouts Business 101 at me and then says it's my negative attitude which is responsible for my 'failure'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikl
    This is very interesting, and it's good that you posted it. But I have to say that I am sceptical about its value. If you look at the Kindle books that are number 1 in their category, many of them are there simply because they are very cheap or free, or because the author has promised things that are not delivered.
    Me too. I'm sceptical of everything. But it's useful to find out what you're up against sometimes, and what tactics your competitors are using.

This is no reflection of Ryan Deiss (whom I know nothing about). But the fact is that people will download free books in vast numbers regardless of their worth or usefulness; and people will purchase Kindle books that are very cheap if they are well promoted, again regardless of their content or the reputation of the author. In fact, the Kindle store is now flooded with self-published books most of which are of little or no value.
    I'd never heard of him before either, although I know a little bit more now. I agree there's an awful lot of rubbish on Kindle, which is disappointing. I'd hoped that a company such as Amazon would have higher quality control standards.

Personally, I would be more impressed if Deiss claimed to be able to get a book published by a mainstream commercial publisher within so-many days.
    Yep, but it's not really possible with the lead time for print books and the way that mainstream book publishers trundle through the process, not to mention all their 'office politics' going on behind the scenes. Even print magazines which are Internet-related are probably obsolete by the time they come off the press, so maybe online publishing is the best way to go for anything Internet-related.

Still, it's an interesting topic, and I'll "stay tuned" it for a while at least.
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to reading lots of input in this thread.

I'll need to have a closer look at what Ken and Theo wrote - I'm supposed to be on holiday right now. And on the road again tomorrow.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (21 August 2012), TheodoreK (21 August 2012)

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I am interested in the possibility of publishing a Kindle book, although not doing it to teach people about how to make money.
    Here are some links that might help you Kay:

Official Amazon ebook "Building Your Book for Kindle" (its' free)
    Official Kindle formatting guide
    Kindle Direct Publishing Tools and Resources
    Official Royalties/pricing page

Cnet article "How to self-publish an ebook"

Also, along with Kindle, there are other self-publishing routes, such as Nook, Smashwords, BookBaby and more. Many of those services, also publish your ebook in Kindle by themselves plus on many other platforms. At least for those three platforms, there is no exclusivity between them and Kindle as long as your ebook is not priced differently from platform to platform.

A few more links for the aspiring self-published e-author:

How BookBaby works
    How to publish on SmashWords
    Official SmashWords ebook "The Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success" (also free)
    NOOK by Barnes & Noble, the world's largest bookstore

There are so many free resources online about self-publishing!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheodoreK For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (31 August 2012), Clinton (21 August 2012), Kay (21 August 2012), KenW3 (21 August 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I received an email to tell me that the third video is now available as part of day two of this challenge. Given that the challenge started on Monday and it's now Wednesday, I'd thought it was day three. I think it's a time difference thing - what's the end of day 2 for him is the start of day 3 for me. That's handy and makes it a little bit easier to catch up.

The email included a link for a free download to his new book, "How to Sell 100 Books A Day". (Brief review to follow.)

It was a very short video just over 4 minutes. They've got off to a slow start because they discovered the formatting of the vertical gardening book was all messed up. It's so important to get the formatting right. That's why they spend such a lot of time talking about it in this course. (Pity they didn't take their own advice, then.)

Despite this they did make some sales and gave away some free download copies. The numbers in the screenshot were too small for me to read properly but it looked like 3 sales, 1 borrowed, 798 free downloads.

There are already 3 five-star reviews for the book. These reviews are "100% legitimate" and not faked in any way.

The book is now #1 in its two categories, admittedly easy categories, so the aim is to get to #1 for the main category, ie gardening. The book is also ranked 235 of all free Kindle books. Once they get in the top 100, then Amazon will do a lot of the marketing for them, thus perpetuating the book's success.

The video winds up with a plug to join his club.

This is starting to look like a duck swimming. Above the water, there's this smooth glide from A to B, whilst there's a load of frantic activity going on under the water behind the scenes. For starters, what happened to the 64 point promo plan which was mentioned in video 2? Am I going to need that to enable me to replicate his success? You don't need a crystal ball to see how this is shaping up. Just doing what you see him doing on the surface is unlikely to lead to success. However, by the time you figure that out, you may have invested your time and money in the hope of becoming a successful Kindle author.

By the end of this course, no doubt he'll have proved he can do it and for those of us who didn't quite make it, then he'll help us with a step-by-step recipe for success (his latest MMO product). A more honest way would have been to state the prerequisites for the course upfront, ie a book to sell in the first place and a promotion plan and whatever else might be required. I think we're to be bamboozled by his amazing success and be jumping at the chance to buy (and subsequently promote) his easy recipe.

I shall persevere as I'd like to go through the process of publishing a Kindle book anyway.

Last edited by Kay; 22 August 2012 at 1:57 am.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (22 August 2012), Mikl (22 August 2012), snowelephant (23 August 2012), TheodoreK (22 August 2012)

+ Reply to Thread