+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you need talent to make money online?

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    But how do you know you're hiring the right people to hire the talented people if you don't have the talent for doing that?
    Because I have more money than brains. I simply keep hiring people, wasting money, until it clicks. A hundred monkeys, on a hundred word processors, etc., etc.

I see people all the time in my wife's business who have absolutely no talent for business, or for the art (She has an upscale nail professional dayspa) but who have enough money to rent out a location in a busy mall. They have no talent professionally (The owner) have no people skills, could care less about getting repeat customers, makes no future appointments, The state board of health are constantly suing him for unlicensed people and unsanitary conditions, and they do a crappy job. But he's been in business for over 10 years in the same location and drives a Bentley. By every metric I know, there is no reason for his success, EXCEPT he has enough money to throw at any problem to make it disappear. Go figure.

Look, I can solve your problem, I need some work and will work for ten shillings a week plus a tin of dog food every two days.
    You're hired! Send me all your bank account info (including passwords) and I'll set up a direct deposit immediately!

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    You're hired! Send me all your bank account info (including passwords) and I'll set up a direct deposit immediately!
    Thank you! Will it help if I send you my credit card details (including passwords) too? I could send my passport by DHL as well if that would help to prove my identity so you can feel confident about hiring me.

Yes, I'm coming around to agreeing with those who say you don't need any talent to make money. I've seen some real shockers recently. For example, that "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" book was so very badly written, so repetitive, so nauseating with some bizarre advice, and apparently he's made millions.

Yeah, I know it's an old book but I got it as a free Kindle download. There didn't seem to be any harm in looking at it. It's a great book! It's saved me a fortune in sleeping pills.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    Thank you! Will it help if I send you my credit card details (including passwords) too? I could send my passport by DHL as well if that would help to prove my identity so you can feel confident about hiring me.
    Not a problem! Yes, please do. And while you're at it, send the same details for that DaveM character too. In online business transactions, You can never be too careful!

Thanks
    This thread reminds me of a quote that I use - “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas A Edison

People fail online for many reasons. Here are some common ones:

1.) Sold a dream of easy money - putting lipstick on a pig so to speak - a good test is whether or not it sounds to good to be true - even if they tell you so, run away, run away! If caught by a get rich scheme (besides marrying into money ;-), the goal should be fail quick, learn from common sense test and know what to avoid in the future.

2.) No desire to learn new things - the only constant I find on the Internet is change. Just ask the web masters, domainers and others in the know how bad they got hit by the Google EMD update release last Friday. In the Internet marketing industry, things change around us every day and a never ending thirst for knowledge is an absolute requirement for success online.

3.) Unable or Unwilling to Get Stuff Done. Making money online, regardless of how you do it, is hard work, at least in my experience. It requires a willingness to invest time AND money, both valuable and limited resources for businesses. The key is to have the knowledge on where/how to invest and make sure that it is a wise investment as they are limitless investment opportunities. If you don't know how to roll up your sleeves and wear many hats at the same time, then maybe online is not a good industry for you.

4.) Be Effective in Written Communications - given that most communication models show that only a small amount of what is communicated (send/receiver) comes through the words. Therefore, communication online, with the exception of video, raises the stakes to be a quality writer so that your words, which are not accompanied by body language or vocal variety, can strike a readers interest while effectively communicating the point(s).

Talent at some level is necessary and makes the road easier, but without hard work, as previously mentioned, it is not sufficient.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ebizroi For This Useful Post:

bustour (1 October 2012), Clinton (1 October 2012), dsieg58 (1 October 2012), Kay (1 October 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Over the years i got friendly with a handful of really rich and succesful people. And NOT one of them has real talent above the average.

They even say so themself. They hire people like me for creativity and strategy development.

What they have in common:

They all are in simple, blatant markets with a high demand! (plates and glasses, bicycles and so on..

All have good bookmaker skills
    They schedule everything else and ask others not involved in the same process if the results are good.

Those examples are all offline business and we talk here about selfmade millionaires.

The same rules applies for a online business in my eyes. I did a lot of ecommerce solutions some years ago and would still say that this is the most easy way to earn money online! And there is no real outstanding talent needed to be successful.

Other methods such as doing income with content websites or blogs are clearly something else. Creativity and expertise plus writing and communications skills are the minimum requirements.

Doing real marketing and develope responsive campaigns and plattforms, is clearly for talented people and one of the reasons why so many FAIL following a IM course even when they take real action.

So what i try to say - there are different bussines models online - some which need a lot of talent, others which are simple jobs with recurring tasks.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyG For This Useful Post:

bwelford (18 October 2012), Chabrenas (20 October 2012), Clinton (18 October 2012), Kay (18 October 2012)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    No you don't need talent as such but you do need to be able to visualize what you want to achieve then apply yourself to getting it.

We all make mistakes, we all have failures, the successful ones take those mistakes and failures and learn from them , the unsuccessful ones take them personally and don't move on.

I used to have to work 16 hours a day when i started out to make this business work for me, I had no talent and I didn't even know what FTP was, but through a lot of luck and hard work I managed to build a full time income.

I did it the hard way because i didn't know any better, I built 100's of sites and wrote loads of content, I finally had a road to damascus moment and realised that there was an easier way so i took that path and haven't looked back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkThompson For This Useful Post:

Clinton (19 October 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
    I finally had a road to damascus moment and realised that there was an easier way so i took that path and haven't looked back.
    So ... are you going to tell us about this easier path, or what?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    So ... are you going to tell us about this easier path, or what?

Yes, i'm interested too to hear about

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Create products and build a list!

Seriously,once you have build a list and built a relationship with them in the time it takes to write a couple of pieces of content you can write an email that will generate more income in a day than the site the content goes on in a year.

It's a myth to say that you need a big list, I know people with 200 people on a list that can outsell people with 20,000, it's all about how you treat your list.

A product can be anything from a 20 minute video or 5 page report to 6 hour video series or a 300 page ebook. Done right a product that takes a day to create can earn as much as one that takes a month.

Start by building a list, if you have a website create a short report AND a 7 day email sequence, in that 7 day sequence tell a story related to the topic and introduce yourself. Never make each email a stand alone one always continue the story or the thread of the story into the next email and let the reader know what to expect in your next email.... don't sell or pitch in the first 5 emails.

Do it right and you'll have a list that will open every email you send (well a lot of them will) then over the coming months sell them your products or other peoples products as an affiliate. However mix the sales emails with good quality content.

I know many will read that and think it sounds hard,it is initially and there is a lot of work to do to get it right and to learn whats effective, you need to test and tweak a lot, but I still sell stuff to people who i got onto a list 3 years ago, I have people who buy almost everything I create or recommend because they know I only recommend something that is good and that i've tested.

It 's much better than constantly working on building a ranking sites only to have google to screw up everything you've done..

I generally create 1 product every 3 months and promote 1 product ever 4-6 weeks. My work load for that is 1 email a week, and 1 blog post a week. when it's time to create a product I'll generally work for a week putting it together.
    Last edited by Clinton; 20 October 2012 at 5:28 pm. Reason: Promoted to article. Please read this thread: http://experienced-people.net/forums/showthread.php/9566

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarkThompson For This Useful Post:

AndyG (20 October 2012), bwelford (20 October 2012), Chabrenas (20 October 2012), Clinton (20 October 2012), crabfoot (20 October 2012), Kay (20 October 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Excellent post, Mark, thanks. May I ask what industry this is in?

You mention people with a list of 200 outselling those with lists of 20K. Would the sales from such a small list really be worth all the effort of maintaining the list and creating the newsletters?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

+ Reply to Thread