+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Make Money as an Amazon Associate by Chris Guthrie

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

How to Make Money as an Amazon Associate by Chris Guthrie

I received an email from Chris Guthrie today, telling me I could obtain his latest Kindle book as a "thank you" for reading his blog. I downloaded it and had a look. (It's free today.)

"How to Make Money as an Amazon Associate"

Here's a quick review of the book.

The book tells you how Mr Guthrie has made tens of thousands of dollars as an Amazon affiliate, and sold one of his top Amazon sites for six figures. This book will tell you how to do that too. There's also a free ten-day video course to accompany the book, which is available from his blog.

Here's how the book is laid out:

Table of Contents: Disclaimer and Terms of Use 1. Introduction and My Background Story 2. Why I Chose to Become an Amazon Affiliate 3. What Makes a Successful Amazon Income Generating Website? 4. Should I Build a Niche or Authority Website? 5. How to Find a Niche Market: 6. How to Create a Niche or Authority Website 7. How to write content for your blog 8. How to Make Money with Amazon.com: Linking Strategies 9. How to get started today:
    Source: Amazon free "look inside" content for the book.

1. We get his story (again) about how he lost his job in 2009 and went on to become rich on the Internet.

2. Is about why he decided to become an Amazon associate - he could make more money by writing product reviews than with AdSense.

3. Tells you how he makes money - choose a product - buy an EMD - build a niche or authority site around it. Place your Amazon affiliate links on these sites. Build links to get your site ranking higher in Google.

4. Niche or authority? He describes the pros and cons of niche sites and says he doesn't believe they're dead or dying despite G's algo changes. If you go down the authority site route, a big advantage is that you can sell it for a higher price later.

5. How to find a niche. First use the Google Keywords tool - he explains how to use it. There's more about choosing a domain and some info about checking out the competition on G.

6. Creating the site. Buy domain - arrange hosting - install WordPress. Then follows some information about how to install WordPress.

7. Then there's some info about writing content and getting ideas for writing content. Get your keyword ideas from G. Write product reviews. You can ask companies for demo products. And you can outsource some of your article writing.

8. How to make money with Amazon. Put a lot of Amazon affiliate links within your content. Then there's some tips, such as "you can sell more during holiday periods" and "if you sell more products, you can make more money".

9. And finally, how to get started today. Listen to his podcast, visit his blog, sign up for hosting using his aff link, and then have a look at NicheProfitCourse.

This book might be of some use to someone who is really clueless, but a significant portion of the book covers things such as how to install WordPress, how to use the Google Keywords Tool and various other subjects which have already been diddled to death on the Internet. Some of it is a bit obvious, too, such as the tip that you can sell more during holiday seasons.

The book is punctuated throughout with examples of how much money he's made using the methods outlined - along the lines of: this made him $5,000, that made him $7,000. I guess that's intended to inspire those who would like to do the same, but it seems a bit trumpeting to me.

There doesn't seem to be very much new or different in the book, and some of the advice may already be obsolete, despite the fact that it was published on 30 Sept 2012. The suggestion of buying an EMD to rank well on Google is questionable, as are the constant references to ranking well on Google being the main (or only?) path to success.

All in all, whilst a newbie might find some of it interesting, to me it looked a lot more like an attempt at publishing an eBook by the Ryan Deiss method. Admittedly Chris's book was a darned sight better than Deiss's efforts, and there was at least some attempt to provide content presented in a coherent way. But it definitely came over much less as just being there "to help people" and more as an attempt to profit from the latest MMO craze - to make money by publishing Kindle books online.

I too am interested in Kindle publishing, and I'm in business to make money, but I don't promote my books in terms of a thank-you gift to people. As far as I'm concerned they're doing me a favour if they download and review my books - most definitely not the other way around.

I know that Chris is a member here, so I'll be interested to read his comments if he decides to reply.
    Last edited by Kay; 4 October 2012 at 10:48 am. Reason: To correct the title - Associate not Affilate
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (4 October 2012), TheodoreK (4 October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanks for reviewing this Kay. I had downloaded it the other day after I received Chris's email and had some high hopes that I might pickup some new nuggets of knowledge. I'll probably pass now, so you probably saved me a good hour of my time.

I have a feeling that we are not exactly the target audience the book was intended to reach. I believe Chris gets a lot of newbies and mommy bloggers to his site, so perhaps the information will at least get them started. It sounds like, from your review, that Chris paints the picture of building, ranking, and monetizing a niche site in a too simplistic of terms, which most of us know is easier said than done.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There's a WSO being launched tomorrow, which is an upsell as a companion for this book. I can't see any mention of price on the sales page, but you can sign up to his email list to be in on the early bird offer.

I'm getting really confused now, because the book was supposed to outline a method (the method he personally used) to get rich as an Amazon Associate, and now it seems as though we need this "Bannerzon" WordPress plugin because the standard banners supplied by Amazon are pretty much useless, so you're leaving a lot of money on the table.

So, does this mean that if you follow the info in the book it's not going to work as well and easily as was suggested? Is this new plugin required to make the method work?

It would be great if Chris would come along and explain this to us.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Chris strikes me as not a bad egg, but maybe we should see MMO ebooks as just commodities.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I've downloaded it and as i have a 2 1/2 hour flight later today i'll read through it and see what its like.

Thanks
    Wonder if Trevorjc had time for a read?
    I bought Chris's Niche Profit Course almost two years ago. So I didn't feel the need to get this one.
    This book might be of some use to someone who is really clueless, but a significant portion of the book covers things such as how to install WordPress, how to use the Google Keywords Tool and various other subjects which have already been diddled to death on the Internet. Some of it is a bit obvious, too, such as the tip that you can sell more during holiday seasons.
    So true - why is every course on such a beginner level? Sometimes I want to laugh because the same marketer has been marketing to me for months as if I still don't know anything. Like a puppy waiting for the next treat.
    I am not a complete newbie, but a lot of the stuff I read on the forum is over my head. However, 'Experienced People' all had to start somewhere. I am so lucky this forum exists.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kharrison For This Useful Post:

Kay (4 November 2012), TheodoreK (3 November 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I know how you feel! Turn the clock back two years and I was a crazy newbie running around like a headless chicken. I did have websites and I was making some money online (I also had an accountancy degree and a masters degree in business behind me) but I didn't have a clue about the truth of making money online.

As a newbie, I was nurtured and educated on here. EP was the best thing that ever happened to me online. That's why I'd like other people who are new to this market to read, learn, and benefit from what's available here. With no hype!

I'm kinda sick of the blind leading the blind and the newbies teaching newbies. They're all selling the same thing. How to set up a WordPress site, how to build backlinks and rank high in Google, how to scrape Craigslist and spam people... (Yawn).

I second your opinion because I also think that I am so lucky this forum exists.

Edit to add: That was probably a bit off topic. Sorry. But it would be really good if Chris would come along and explain to us what he intended to do with his offering of the free eBook, and whether it is a marketing tactic or what it's all for.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

DaveMurphy (3 November 2012), kharrison (3 November 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kharrison View Post
    So true - why is every course on such a beginner level?
    Because that's where the demand is. Someone who already has some skills in the specific area an MMO marketer is selling a product in either feels he doesn't need the product or knows enough to recognise hype / exaggerated claims / undisclosed risks. Among those customers there is a lower conversion rate. The big market for these marketers - and where they get the highest conversion - is among those who feel they are raw beginners. So the course has to be explained like it was designed for this user group.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

kharrison (6 November 2012), TheodoreK (6 November 2012)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kharrison View Post
    why is every course on such a beginner level? Sometimes I want to laugh because the same marketer has been marketing to me for months as if I still don't know anything. Like a puppy waiting for the next treat.
    I am not a complete newbie, but a lot of the stuff I read on the forum is over my head. However, 'Experienced People' all had to start somewhere. I am so lucky this forum exists.
    About six years ago I bought my first internet marketing course. It would have been effective to some extent if I had known then how to build a website. The man that wrote the course insisted that things like that were too banale, and could be easily outsourced, as could SEO and copywriting.

I had a dilemma. I didn't know WHERE to outsource, I didn't have the basic skills, I didn't know who to believe, and a lot of the methods I could see to be making money were against my ethics. Strange, but the people most willing to share were money-grubbing black hatters, the best place to learn how to throw a site together was Moreniche (which is steadily moving towards products with more mainstream appeal these days, rather than the tawdry stuff of yore).

I've slowly learned how to do things, but the thing I most regret is that I didn't have the basic skills to throw a site up when I first got interested. If I'd had some monochrome instruction on basics, I could have taken advantage of a lot of methods which can no longer be applied.

I can liken the situation to a river which must be crossed. Someone had placed a tightrope across it a while back, but I didn't have the skills to walk across the tightrope.
    I could have jumped into the river and crossed by holding the rope, but I was scared of the piranhas in the river, so I went off to learn to walk the tightrope.

In the meantime the rope broke, I came back and found I need to learn to swim, but I'm even more scared to do that now because there are a lot more piranhas than there were before.

So I'm building a boat, but that needs yet another skill set and I've got to find some tools ...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Clinton (8 November 2012)

+ Reply to Thread