+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What business subject would you like to read a book about?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

What business subject would you like to read a book about?

I'm trawling for ideas for a new book for me and my associates to write. Obviously I have some ideas of my own, plus I've got a half-written one on the go. I thought that some input from the EP members would be helpful. What would YOU like to read?

How to get rich quick? Sorry, I don't have the recipe.

If you could make some suggestions of subjects for a book you'd like to read, it would be helpful. If your idea seems viable, we'll have a go at writing it for you.

Thanks.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks

How to research an idea

This weekend a buddy of mine started asking me some questions that seemed pretty off the wall at first. After talking to him I realized he wanted to invest in a printer to print thermal transfers for tshirts, focusing on a specific market that he thought he could do well in. He also wanted to find a heat press that would let him quickly produce the finished shirts. I helped him with a few search terms, found the industry specific jargon, and explained what alibaba.com was (as he was finding plenty of results there and was intrigued by the notion of a global marketplace). That was enough to send him off onto researching what he needed to but it leads to one suggestion for an ebook, how to do the research to turn an idea into a well rounded concept of what it takes to execute.

There's the obvious aspects of fishing around for search terms until you hit the correct industry terms and understand how that industry operates. But beyond that, there's all kinds of extra stuff to research. Legalities, competition, room for disruption, scale, hidden costs, etc.

There's probably a number of ebooks to be done here depending on experience and expertise. I could see focusing books on online products / services vs physical products and presence. There may be more ways to focus and segment this into a series.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cothrun For This Useful Post:

Clinton (15 October 2012), Kay (15 October 2012), KenW3 (16 October 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for such a good reply, Cothrun. It's not what I'd expected. I'd expected to get requests from newbies wanting to know more about "how to make money online" rather than anything more sophisticated, such as your answer.

No doubt some of the lurkers and vampires and write-a-book-in-27-minutes creeps will probably pinch the idea. They're not real competition for us anyway, because we do research and write our books properly. We have a team with good qualifications and experience. Hope that didn't sound too self-promotional, but it's true. We do take time over writing our books. We want them to be useful rather than just rake in some short-term cash from selling rubbish.
    Last edited by Kay; 15 October 2012 at 4:59 pm. Reason: typo

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    How to build a following for your Google+ Business page

I am a big believer that Google+ is going to be a big deal for Google traffic acquisition in the future. While building a following on Google+ as an individual seems feasible, building a following for Google+ business pages is proving to be a challenge.

Given the Google Search Plus Your World update and its impact to personalizing the Google search results coupled with the Google+ Local Business pages replacing Google Places pages, at least in some markets, this would be a topic of interest to me, though I recognize the appeal in some markets may be limited due to lack of relevancy of Google+ business pages.

I would be interested in hearing about what strategies and tactics others have employed to successfully build a following for their Google+ Business page or whether they even feel that having a Google+ Business page is important (or even available) for their target markets.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebizroi For This Useful Post:

Kay (16 October 2012), KenW3 (16 October 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This thread might be worth revisiting now that more of our members have got into writing and publishing eBooks.

(A long-winded way of saying "bump".)

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Well, I'd love to read a no-BS book about starting a business. No vague motivational nonsense, no success stories, no self-evident common sense advice, no scams. Just a honest, down-to-earth book from a reasonably successful businessperson. It might sound simple, but I can't find many useful books on the subject. (Perhaps because successful businesspeople are busy doing business instead of writing books!)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheodoreK For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (8 April 2014), Kay (8 April 2014)

+ Reply to Thread